Cub Scout Resident Camp

There seems to be a wide variability between councils on the availability of a Cub Scout Resident Camp.

In our council, that program begin on Thursday and ends on Sunday, four days and three nights of camping. Cost this year was $170 for Scouts and $100 per adult.

Here's a description of the program:

http://www.seattlebsa.org/etotem/septcamp/brinkley.pdf

I visited the program this year, and found every parent I talked with very enthusiastic about the program. Only two adults are needed to bring any number of Cub Scouts to camp, but adults reported that almost every Cub Scout was accompanied by a parent who WANTED to be there to share the camping and program experience. I was impressed.

The most successful packs in my district tend to be the ones who make Cub Scout Resident Camp part of their regular pack program, finding ways to budget for the costs through the popcorn sale and perhaps a car wash or other fundraiser.

Each district also has a day camp, so the Resident Camp is a choice in addition to that.

The resident camp is at a council camp that used to be a Boy Scout Camp. They ran seven weeks of Cub Scout Resident Camp this summer, which indicates a substantial demand for this program.

I'm working to sell this program to my pack, especially for 1st and second year Webelos. Doing the Tiger Twilight Camp, then the district day camp for Wolves and Bears is good, but I'd like to see a new special activity for Webelos. In addition, the Resident Camp program would help Webelos Scouts complete Webelos requirements which seems like quite a challenge.

The Cub Scout Resident Camp had seven program weeks this year.

By contrast, one Boy Scout Camp had eight program weeks and a second five weeks of operation this year.

(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

My only problem with cub resident camps is that they require an adult to attend with the cub; at least my council does. This presents a problem in several fronts with work, the fact that I have another son, and the fact that two nights of camping is just about my and my husband's limit. And I wouldn't have given it much thought other than I recently found out that the girl scouts are allowed to go by themselves for two freakin weeks without their parents. GIRL scouts!!!! Why can't we treat cub resident camp the same way as webelos camp? If the girl scouts can do it, we can't we???

And please don't think I want to treat BSA as a babysitting service. I HATE it when people do that. But I don't see why we have to have 1:1 ratio at cub resident camp.

1:1 is not required in our district. It may just be your district.

But yes, DD has been going to resident girl scout camp by herself since she was in first grade. And her troop, which is essentially a den, has been troop camping since kindergarten. I always wonder why cubs are allowed so much less independence by comparison but that's the way the G2SS reads i guess...

Our council ran 8 sessions of resident Cub camp last year, from what I understand each session was fully booked. We had around 50% participation from our pack The cost is really reasonable, I think. The charge for cubs is $115 and the first two adult leaders are free, additional adults are only $50. It does help us recruit leaders for camp.

momof2cubs, that is an interesting rule. Our camp is much more laid back and cites YPT as a basis for their leader requirements. Each pack needs a minimum of two leaders; each den needs one leader. There is no way all of our parents could do a week of vacation to attend summer camp with their boys.

There is not a separate Webelos resident camp, but each rank has their own living area and most activities are done by rank. The WebIIs do a cool overnight under the stars with the WebII camp staff that is always popular with the scouts.

Yet another case of Local interpretation of the rules.

My son and I went to resident camp between his tiger and wolf year......we went as a father/son combo. When we arrived I was assigned 3 more boys from a different pack that I did not know. Of course the boys were homesick and two of the three had serious behavior issues, stealing from the trading post and fellow scouts, wouldn't eat...... I spent more time with them than my son.

I voiced my displeasure with the program and camp director to only be shamed for not wanting provide scouting to these boys. At the time the shame worked.....Now, there is no way I would have tolerated and I would have insisted to have my money refunded.

While I don't have an issue with adhoc or provisional troops at summer camp. I have a huge issue with it at the Cub Level.

The GSUSA organization, and it's programs, including their camping progression, are very different from those of the BSA. One of the main differences is that the BSA Cub Scout program is family-oriented, while the GSUSA programs (even the younger ones) are not.

One of the purposes of Cub Scouting is "Family Understanding".

The BSA Cub Scout Resident Camp Guidelines state -

"The objective is to provide Cub Scouts, parents, and other volunteer leadership with a meaningful, enjoyable experience and to strengthen parent-son relationships."

"The length of camp can be from two to five nights. A camp of three days, including two nights, is recommended."

"The camp ratio of adults to boys is set by the council, but each boy is responsible to one designated adult."

The Atlanta Area Council, youth/adult ratio for for Wolf/Bear Cub Scouts is 1 adult per 1-2 boys (they state they have found the younger boys to need more supervision). Their youth/adult ratio for 4th/5th grade Webelos is 2 adults/2-4 Scouts, 3 adults/5-8 Scouts, 4 adults/9-12 Scouts.

So momof2cubs could attend a 3-night camp with both her Scouts together if they were Wolf/Bear Cubs, or attend a 3-night camp with her Bear Cub Scout, and send her 5th grade Webelos Cub Scout to either a 5-night, or a 3-night Webelos camp with his den and without a parent along.

Some councils use a ratio of 1:1 for all levels of Cub camping. Some use a ratio of 1 adult per 3-5 Scouts for all levels. Some, like Atlanta Area, require parents to register with their Wolf or Bears, but use a looser (1:4-5) ratio for Webelos.

My council has 1-night weekend camps at the local council camp, and 3-night camps at our out-of-state camp. All require a parent (1 or both) to register with their Scout(s).

I am not being critical of either the GSUSA or BSA programs, but when you have a girl go through scouts first, then you have a son go through, it seems a bit odd. Going to sound sexist here but the boys are the ones who are made of snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

As always a lot comes down to local leadership. My daughter has been doing the equivalent of den camping (because as you know girl scouts do not operate as a multi age troop for the most part) since her first year because my wife was the leader and a lot of the moms liked to camp...and threre is no prohibition against it with the right training and ratio of adults to girls. Obviously not all troops are like that.

So when my son joined a pack that did not camp, and I found that as a DL we could not camp as a den even though we wanted to, it was surprising and frustrating. My solution was to get BALOO trained and organize a pack camp, but I have always felt that the camping encouragement and structure is not there to the extent it is with girl scouts.

Sorry, that's OT, but the issue came up here.

Basement: Atlanta Area Council has separate resident camps for Wolf/Bears and Webs. The Webs are separate weeks and do not require a 1:1 ratio. So that makes more sense and the dads kinda draw straws or work it out for one or two to attend for 3 nights/4 days.

The Wolf/Bears resident camps are on a separate week and require one adult for one kid. I find it ridiculous and now I am even more annoyed that it is just a local council rule and not a BSA rule. I did not know that. ugh.

mom.....I was ticked with being stuck with kids whose mom or dad dumped them at resident camp at a week.

Now boys from my Pack, I accept responsibility for them. When I take them to camp, I am properly prepared with games, larger first aid kit, evening treats and light sticks.....ect.

I had paid $150 adult fee to attend.......If I had know I was going to be used as a guardian I would have insisted that I attend free......They did not even give me a tshirt for my effort.

I agree with you Basement, when paying that much to attend camp with your son, you should get to enjoy camp with your son. Having 3 boys dumped on you, without your prior knowledge, from a Pack who did not bother to register the required leaders, is just plain wrong.

Your council was in the wrong to accept their registrations in the first place, and then compounded it by dropping their problem in your lap.

This is one of the reasons why many council Cub camps require a Scout to sign up with a parent.

Personally, I am all for it.

• 4 weeks later...

In our Council, Bear Resident Camp lays out a 1:1 standard except where there are sibs in the program (twins or adopted/foster children).

National Camp Standard M-37:

"The minimum leadership requirements of any Cub Scout unit attending camp must meet the adult-to-boy ratio of two adults to a maximum of eight boys."

Found at: http://www.ncsbsa.org/resources/standards/2011%20National%20Standards%20Resident.pdf

Our Council charged in 2011 $50/person early bird and $65/person standard fee for Bear Resident Camp. Camp is a 2 day/1 night experience: 830AM Day 1 to 5PM Day 2.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

SP, Cascade Pacific Council, which I don't think EXACTLY adjoins with yours to the South (we go as far North as Longview WA) has three different resident camp experiences for Cubs.

We have Cub World, oriented for incoming Wolves and Bears, though Webelos would be welcome too. This one is (IIRC) at Scouters Mountain, a council property just outside Portland OR. The Cubs camp in train cars and other entertaining shelters - adults tent it.

We have Butte Creek Scout Ranch, oriented for incoming Webelos. The Scout Ranch is about an hour outside Portland. This one is (I think) a wall tent setup, and has as its main feature horseback riding.

We also have 'Adventure Cove' at Camp Clark out on the Oregon Coast (next to Camp Meriwether). This one looks alot like Boy Scout summer camp (and is in fact a couple of miles away from Boy Scout summer camp). This one is in 'mini Adirondack' shelters for sleeping.

I guess my point in going into all of this is that 1) I feel very fortunate to have all this wealth of resources and 2) I'm pretty sure the council welcomes packs from outside the council

TAC's cub camp is one week and you can go either as a parent/Cub combo and be buddied with others into a camp unit or register as a pack and have 1:4 ratio of adults/Cubs. But, you can't just send your son by himself.

The boys who go to cub camp always come back with great stories, and it's a nice adult bonding time if the pack adults can get along.