Lisabob: I think doing a group training session at the first den meeting is a great idea!

sasha: I think the approach you take as a DL "coach" is great. Have you ever had difficulty recruiting someone to step up? What method do you use to ensure the group views you as a temporary mentor?

ScoutNut, I'd like to hear more about how you make the transition from you as the permanent TDL to finding a DL. Do you assign meetings/activities at the first meeting? How do you keep the meetings led by adult partners + boys if you are the official-looking/uniformed person? Etc...

I explain the Tiger Program, and Shared Leadership, at the very first meeting. A sign up sheet is passed around then and Teams are asked to commit to at least one meeting/outing. I usually lead the first few meetings so that everyone has an idea of how it goes. As the year progresses I ask the Teams to add meetings, and I pick up any open dates.

The key is to totally involve your Tiger Partners from day 1. Impress on them that they are Scouts too, and that with their Tiger they are a TEAM, and teams work together on everything. Do not have adults sitting at a table on one side of the room while the Scouts work on stuff at the other end. Every Partner sits next to their Tiger. Every Partner does the craft, game, song, skit, pledge, etc, right along with the Tigers. When they do the den cheer I want every voice in the room, Tiger, adult, and siblings, loud enough to shake the rafters.

After working with my Tiger Teams, getting to know them, and getting them enthused about the Scouting program, by January, or February, I usually have a pretty good idea of who works well with the boys, and who will make good leaders. I will then start to give those Teams more to do. In April I will start talking to the adults I want as leaders one on one. I let them know what is involved and offer my help in whatever they need. The new den leaders will be introduced at our Graduation Pack meeting at the end of May.

It works for us. Of course we have a truly great bunch of families! Most of the families who do not become den leaders will continue to volunteer in some way for the Pack.

I think your pack is also fortunate to have you to take on the permanent TDL-coach role. As CM I have time to build in one get started meeting, but not to coordinate meetings through February. I can't see anyone in our pack agreeing to take on that type of role, although admittedly I haven't asked.

What Scoutnut said. If some pack would ask, I would have volunteered to do this. Probably still would, even though my son hasn't been a cub scout in years.

Thing is, most cub packs seem to want DL's who do "everything" with a pack, while what I'm in a position to do is more like what ScoutNut describes. I don't have the slightest interest in being CM or CC, or COR, or wolf DL either.