Modify Webelos requirements for special needs?

"Successive Approximations" is a great way to do this. We have a Web with Autism who almost melted down at the idea of doing sit-ups or push-ups. His mom was in tears and the child was rapidly heading into full panic at the idea. First I told him that no one was going to force him to do the exercises (stop the panic). Once he was calm, I asked if he thought he could do 1 of each. He thought that was possible as long as no one but me and his mom looked at him when he did it, and he was able to do 1 of each. Now at future meetings when we do our 'fitness time', he will be in charge of the timer, then when 'no one is looking' we'll ask him to do 2 of each, etc.

Break each task into its smaller steps and have him try 1 step. Once he gets that, have him try the next step, then steps 1-2 together, etc.

Boy does this hit close to home.

In the case of parents who don't admit it I don't know. I have had this happen also--when my kid was in the same class, too. It is not fair to the boy...

I like to think achievement in cubs is process and boy scouts is product. There is no requirement police in cubs but I think they need to make their own individual best effort. For swimming they need to get in the water even if two adults swim side by side; it may take awhile. Parents may need to make additional work at home--I would let them do it if they are amenable and honorable. My son who has sensory issues will only swim with shirts and sneakers on...we let him and he did OK.

In all cases the lad has to try, to make the attempt. Sometimes victory will be in small steps. Did he get in the water--great. Next time a few strokes. Time after that a little swimming.

For my son the academic requirements were HUGE hurdles we tried to start on those early in the year to give him a headstart on his weakest areas. For another boy who had very, very poor hand coordination I probably worked 3 times as long on practicing setting up a tent and tying the square not.

All boys have strong areas and weak areas. I tried to make sure that a scout who was struggling in one area got to show off sometimes in his strong area. It is important to provide the right mix of activities so that all boys get to be successful so they do not to get too discouraged. That said in Webes we generally pushed the "Scouty" outdoor skills toward the end since the boys usually needed a little more physical maturity. I know others do differently.

I have been and still are constantly surprised at how boys will do things for another adult or another boy than their parent. It is also easier to be patient for someone than your own son. I know when my boy cannot read well or tie his shoe it pushes the parental button "will he ever be able to get a job and support himself, etc" or "he never does it for me at home, either".

In Webelos we started copying the local Boy Scout schedule (meetings every week when school is in, except for Pack meetings and some sort of special activity once a month. The more you meet the more repetition and normalcy you can build into a schedule that can help a asbergers/autistic kid.