Held back in school

As you probably know we do not make boys "repeat" scouts. Both my boys had to repeat but kept going in scouts. The older one benefited from advancing even though he missed some friends; he took more pride in his scout "career" than his scholastic one. My younger son did not repeat in scouts and eventually became disenchanted with his current den as he was not in class with them; so it does depend on the situation.

If it was Tiger I might repeat; they are pretty young. But repeating can get pretty boring.

My younger son did stay in it; mostly I think for the Daddy time. He is now in Boy Scouts and with his old friends. Since he knows boys in two age groups he is a popular scout and a bridge to the younger ones so it did work out.

In any case I found I agonized over this far more than my boys. Why not ask them? I gave both a choice, explained they did not have to stay back, and it was their choice.

I have boy that's joining our Pack this fall and he is repeating the first grade. However, he will be joining the Wolf Den 2nd graders because of his age and to be with his friends. His mom and dad are good with this decision.

I don't have a definitive answer.

One consideration would be how closely scouts is tied to his school. Our Pack is made up almost entirely of boys from our parish school, so a scout is in a den with his classmates. In our case it could make sense to have the boy stay back and move to a den with his new classmates. We are a big school and also have our own baseball, basketball, football teams -- all school grade based -- and so the new classmates would also become his new teammates in any sport he was engaged in.

I don't have a definitive answer.

One consideration would be how closely scouts is tied to his school. Our Pack is made up almost entirely of boys from our parish school, so a scout is in a den with his classmates. In our case it could make sense to have the boy stay back and move to a den with his new classmates. We are a big school and also have our own baseball, basketball, football teams -- all school grade based -- and so the new classmates would also become his new teammates in any sport he was engaged in.