Pack family guide ideas

I'm taking over as CM in a couple of weeks. From talking with the other parents and leaders, one of the greatest complaints was how lost they felt for the first few months after their boys joined. We also have a group of fully dedicated parents willing to put in the time and effort to make the pack successful and fun for the boys. It's been decided that a family guide, handed out at the first parent meeting after fall recruitment then to each family that joins thereafter, would help make adjustment to the pack easier.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I've perused some similar guides other packs have up online for ideas. Each is different. We want to keep ours between 5 and 10 pages long. The plan is to put each guide in a folder with the current year's activity calendar and volunteer contact list. Families only receive the folder and guide once, but we issue updated calendars and contact lists each fall.

My question is, what do you thing is vital to include in a family guide? If your pack uses one, what do you include? Any pro's con's or common pitfalls you've encountered doing a guide like this?

I wish we had gotten one when we started last year! We did receive some paperwork, and they went over some things via a slideshow, but it wasn't enough information.

1. Contact information--CM, and the DL/ADL for the troop the cub is in.

2. Is there a pack website? We have one, where you can download forms, pay for trips/dues/etc via paypal, see photos, find the calendar,etc.

3. Uniform policy. Do the boys need to be in full uniform every meeting or is a pack tshirt ok for den but not pack meetings?

4. How to volunteer. Is the pack in need of a popcorn kernal or ADL? Is there a parent who can help with derby cars, etc?

5. Who the committee members are. Need to know who to pay campouts to, who to talk to if there is an advancement problem, etc.

6. Pack rules. *no cell phones out at meetings or none at all; no gum in meetings, etc. Things like that that can apply to everyone.

7. Things the pack can use. Do you need craft supplies? camping gear?

8. Is there a fund to help those who need it? (to pay for campouts or dues or uniforms) One thing we are trying to start this year is to have our Tigers give their sliders/neckercheifs/hats to the incoming Tigers, to help defray some of that start up cost. Then next year, if they are still in good condition, they can go down to the next set of Tigers, and our Wolves will turn their Wolf gear to the upcoming Wolves.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

That's a good idea ....but don't want to fix too much in stone.

when I was CM I like d to give new parents (when I got the completed application not before) a current newsletter (for next month), and the plan we have for the year with dates for popcorn sale, Pack meeting dates/time, special event dates like PW derby, Day Camp, Camp Weekends, Memorial Day Parade, AOL evening, Blue and Gold, planning picnic... This would be a list of dates/location rather than a complete calendar.

I remember 2-3 pages with Scout Office/store location address, my leadership name/address/email/phone, Den meeting times/locations (marked that see DL as they are subject to change). Most if not all of the leadership used the Pack website and email, and always made printed News letters available at Pack and den meetings.

Pack uniform expectation

Parent participation expectation

Training dates coming up

RT time/location

I know at the end I had a simple paragraph that stated it is the PARENT responsibility to contact the PACK/DL for information missed in Pack/Den meetings. The Pack Meeting and Den meetings are NOT DROP OFF events, parents are not only encouraged to stay but participate/assist the CM/DL as needed

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

For someone totally new to scouting, the scouting program is hard to grasp. A short five to ten page guide won't be enough. Plus there's the challenge of how many to print (5, 10, 20). It's hard to predict. (and most will be lost, damaged or thrown out before they are ever read)

This is our plan.

#1 At join scouting night .... in paper ... say two double sided pages .... give them a "QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE" that has a pack calendar, contact information, local resources (pack web site, email addresses, scout shop, ...) and a strongly emphasized link to the pack "parent guide".

#2 We collect from each parent both a membership application and one or more email addresses.

#3 We send them a welcome email with a reference to our pack parent guide (unsecured) and a username and password how to get to the secured content. We again emphasize reading the pack parent guide.

Those parents that are interested will read / skim the guide at their leisure. Those that aren't interested at that moment can find it later when they are ready to read it. Here's a link to our parent guide. I really like it, but as with all guides, it could use improvement.

http://woodbury56.mypack.us/aboutus

I guess I should clarify. We won't be handing them out at roundup, but at the first parent meeting when we welcome the new families to the pack. We will know how many are needed since these are registered boys.

Email and a website are excellent, we have both. But only about half our current families are online. Some of our families don't even have reliable phone numbers. We email out the newsletter to everyone that has one and handout paper copies to those that prefer communications that way. An online-only packet just doesn't serve our pack well. I wish it did, as I prefer online communication. Communication has become a real limiting factor in our neck of the woods, and even if a few packets end up lost or in the trash, it can't hurt. Thankfully, cost isn't an issue in our case as we have access to free printing.

Fred, thank you for the link provided! It gives me a few ideas and mirrors what I would put in the online version. The paper version we are envisioning is more of a starter packet. It won't reiterate info found in the boy's handbook. Our set up seems simpler than yours as well. For example, all our dens meet at the same time in the same building, just different rooms, and we don't have dues. We also won't be including leader training info in the book, as that info is already in our leader books. This is just a simple list of the basics to help new parents get adjusted.

We have a 20 page " Pack 235 Parent Orientation Guide"

It explains basic BSA stuff like advancement. what G2SS is and how it applies, basic YPT stuff,

dues and insurances cost, plus break down of dues and what each dolar is used for.

WE explain advancement awards and BL and what is expected and what parents should expect. ( we are not baby sitters, etc..)

WE cover things like rules of the pack, rules of the CO and rules of our council.

WE made a point to triple space our guide for 2 reasons:

1) Too much stuff crammed together, and people barely scan it.

2) Notes can be added here and there by parents

At our dedicated sign-up night in the fall (when about 80% of the families in attendance are planning to join) we hand out a folder with the following information:

- BSA Cub Scout Parent Information Guide (linked by ScoutNut)

- a 2-page info sheet for our Pack

- a 1-page uniform info sheet describing our Pack's uniform policy, anticipated costs, basic patch placement and nearby stores

- calendar of events for the year

- youth application and medical record form

- parent talent survey/volunteer form

Our 2-page info sheet gives some background on our Pack, how it works in very basic terms ("Pack" versus "Den" organization and activities), when/where we meet (our dens meet at different dates/locations), costs (upfront vs. actual, with discussion of our fundraiser) and what they include, and contact information including a link to our website.

We do a break-out session of about 25 minutes where the kids are off doing an activity and then I launch into details about how the program works, trying to cover all the important bases without getting too in-depth. While I am doing this there are several other Pack parents milling around the event to field questions. We find that to be very effective for question-answering because it seems people prefer to ask their questions 1-on-1 rather than raise their hand in front of a group (the fear of the dumb question).

If we were to expand our info sheet into a starter guide I would include the following items based on questions I typically hear:

- the Pack's policy on sports and missing meetings...for instance, our Pack is very flexible on this (as I'm sure most are?) and I find it helps to be proactive in communicating that to ease concerns for those parents who would rather not join than cause a conflict with sport X

- how advancement works (that parents can sign off for requirements at some ranks, that achievements/electives can be earned outside of meetings, etc.)

- level of family involvement and when the family is welcome...I can see how this is a point of confusion for new families. For instance, den meetings by nature are meant to be more intimate, focusing on the scout and his adult partner, but pack meetings are meant to be family events. Who can attend the camp-outs? For families who are used to sports programs where the families are primarily spectators, Cub Scouts is a bit different.

I looked at stuff that was out there and didn't like the BSA stuff...to generic and didn't tell the parents practical stuff that pertained to our Pack. (It obviously couldn't.)

So that they weren't overwhelmed with a bunch of DIFFERENT documents, I created one essential document. It is 8 pages and is the "getting started" guide.

I also created a NEW LEADER handbook after consulting with leaders about "what they wished they had known."

I can't link to both of those docs directly here, but I could send you a copy if you'd like.

The sections are:

--

What is Cub Scouting?

--

How is the Cub Scout program different from other youth programs, like sports?

--

Is Scouting a religious program?

--

How is the Cub Scout Program organized?

--

Understanding Advancement (Rank) Badges

--

What are some of the activities the Pack does

--

Regular Pack Event Dates

--

What goes on at Monthly Pack Events?

--

What does my Den do?

--

What are the equipment requirements?

--

Wearing the Uniform:

--

Where can I buy the uniform, book, and supplies?

--

What are program costs?

--

Is financial assistance available?

--

What are fundraising requirements?

--

Family responsibilities.

--

Volunteering

--

Attending Den and Pack Events

--

Youth Protection

--

Leader Contacts

--

Website address

--

Cub Scout Promise

Law of the Pack

Cub Scout Motto

Family Promise

You are my Rock Star, 83Eagle! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Previously we handed out the BSA parent guide, but it basically just says what's in the front of every single handbook. We need something pack specific. I made up leader books last year when I saw our "old guard" was starting to move on, and they ended up being a hit with the new leaders. I think they are what lead to the parent guide idea.

Family Promise?

I've heard of this...though I can imagine there are different meanings and versions out there

Yep, the family promises to be involved with the scout, scouting and be a family that does stuff together..

I thought the family promise came from some official source. However, as I looked into it again I think it was just something I came across that sounded like a good idea because it reenforced the "we expect you to be involved" message throughout the handbook. So, I'm sure someone will criticize me for putting in something "unofficial" but I really do not care.

Family Promise

We promise, to do our best to support our Cub Scout,

And to guide him to live up to the Cub Scout Promise, and the Law of the Pack.

We will work with our Scout to help him complete his achievements

to the best of his ability.

As Akela, I will sign his book when he has done his best.

We will attend and take part in the pack meetings and den activities.

We will do our best to make the pack go.

(This message has been edited by 83eagle)

I made a generic version of the handbook we use. Having an 8 page document allows us to print front to back and have it come out even. Obviously this doesn't cover everything, and it was intended to be a FAQ guide based on feedback from parents about what they wished they would have known.

Here is a link, let me know if it does not work.

https://cid-16fca1d96e806158.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/New%20Parent%20Handbook%20Generic.pdf