On the latest adult application there is a sentence which states that "No one may register in more than one position in the same unit, except the chartered organization

representative (who can multiple only as the committee chairman (CC) or a committee member...". My question is how can that be changed to exclude the multiple option? With a power motivated person being the COR and CC of the same unit, there's no room for differences of opinion. In fact it seems like a dictatorship.

Who said Scouting on the adult level is democratic? In BSA literature, the COR can overrule the SM and CC because the COR represent the charter organization. the only person who can overrule the COR is the IH.

The key is to get the COR trained ASAP so that they fully understand their position as COR, which is a weighty one since they vote on both the district and council level, as well as the CC position.

Also the members of the committee and direct contact leaders need to be trained so that they fully understand their roles.

The COR represents the CO. The CO owns the unit and is calling the shots - or should be. If the CO wants its person "in control" in both positions, it has that right.

Remember that everyone - including the SM and committee members - works for (or on behalf of) the CO. We're all on the same team.

From what I understand, this was allowed to specifically help new start-ups, and small units without good volunteer bases. It basically eliminates one extra person.

A Scouting unit is always, basically, a dictatorship, it does not matter if the COR is multiple registered or not. The Chartering Organization(CO), and it's Representative(COR), always have the final say. They are the owners of the unit, even if they do not know it, exercise it, or even have any actual contact with their unit at all.

However, Scouting units should not be RUN like a dictatorship. Everyone has their jobs to do. Opinions should be sought, and discussions settled by consensus. It should never be "do what I say only-no questions asked", or "my way or the highway". All leaders in a BSA unit should be working TOGETHER for the good of the youth in their care.

However, anyone who has spent any time on any Scout Forums knows that that is not always the case. There are plenty of units out there that twist the BSA program. Everything from minor, rather inconsequential, things, to changing the program into something entirely different. It is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with.

If you do not like the direction your unit is taking, I suggest you visit others in your area, and switch to one that is a better fit for you, and your son.

Our Dist Scout Exec TRIED to get our CORep to BE the CC, but he declined, his wife asking why IIIII (CM) couldn't be listed as CC. (Um...no, dear.)

I think it *absolutely* has to do with getting that CORep TRAINED for his/her position! I called the pastor of the CO church and said, "Are you aware of _______?" He said he was not, and asked me if I could do thus-and-so. "Call a Committee meeing and tell them ________..."

I said, "Nope. I am the dog-and-pony show, your cruise director, your master of ceremonies. But your man the CORep is the ONLY person (with your guidance) with the authority to do that. I suggest you insist that he do so.

I think they were both sort of stunned when I insisted that I would not take the reins. Nope-nope-nope.

But I can see where in other Packs you might have people trying to overstep their bounds, so there the guidelines come to play.

My question is how can that be changed to exclude the multiple option?

Your IH could insist that different people hold those two positions. But there is no "check and balance" going on in any official fashion - the COR can dictate anything he wants unless the IH wants to start dictating. The IH can really dictate how the unit is to be run, although very few do. The only way to overrule an IH would be if he did something so egregious as to get his membership revoked, or for the unit's charter to be removed.

I do think that for established units, you'd be wise to separate those duties, and that can be a unit policy.

Or you could go try to change it on a National level, but I'm not betting that's going to happen.