Needing a Tiger Graduation Ceremony story

This past weekend was our crossover/ graduation campout. But due to inclimate weather ....well threat or rainstorms, and as the day progressed, severe winds and tornado watches AND warnings for our area...most Tiger Cub parents eithet went home or didn't show up to start with.

So our Tiger den leader approached me yesterday and said that they were feeling scared about the weather and were gona miss the ceremony. But that they would probably have their own den level ceremony ins few weeks .

He also wants me to run it.

I'm totally cool with that. The only thing I need is some sort of Tiger ceremony story.

You know what I mean? For AOL, you can tell the story of the chief sending scouts out to climb as high as they can and bring back a branch from a tree at that point.

For an entire graduation, you can tell the story of a chief having the best archer shooting an arrow and all the scouts looking for it ( along with carving arrow tips and making necklaces of them.

But what about for one den only? And a Tiger den at that?

I could make up something, but wonder if there are some cool stories that go along with graduation?

THanks!

New boys in my troop are given a "Bobcat Trophy," which is just a block of wood. Boys are encouraged to sand, finish and decorate it in any way they wish, and to drill eight holes in it that birthday candles will fit in.

When they complete the Bobcat requirements, they bring their Bobcat Trophy in and light their candles to remember the requirements they completed. Some boys do nothing, some make quite a project out of it --- I had one Scout turn his into a Pinewood Derby car with wheels!

You could do something similar, giving boys a "Tiger Cub Trophy" to work on. Boys could be supervised drilling five holes in it for candles if you wish.

Generally speaking boys LOVE lighting matches and starting fires! I have parents supervise their boy with the candle lighting and douse the room lights. It works quite well!

What were you planning on doing for the Tigers at the campout? You should be able to simply adapt/shorten that ceremony. That way the Tigers will not feel so much like they missed out.

Other than that, just about any ceremony you find on the 'net for awarding the rank award can be adapted to a graduation ceremony.

Any of the "magic" ceremonies (glowing, changing water color, fizzing bones, etc) would be fun. A Painted Face ceremony is nice. An Indian ceremony outside, or inside around a fake campfire.

Here are some ceremony sites -

http://insanescouter.org/c/44/Ceremonies.html

http://scouting.argentive.com/docs/ceremony_magic_formulas.pdf

http://scoutingbear.com/Ceremony/cerecub.htm

http://usscouts.org/ceremony.asp

Well, how we do our ceremony is like this:

(scouts are already wearing arrowheads they carved)

WE have the scouts line up by rank starting with any pre Tigers who are going to join, then Tigers, Wolves etc..until the end of the line which are Webelos

Except for the pre tiger and 1st year Webelos, we take their current neckers off, let them climb the steps to the bridge and cross the bride. When the come down the other side, their den leaders tie the next rank necker on.

I can still do that with the Tigers no problem.

The story thing changes though>

At the full pack ceremony, we told the story of a chief who picked the greatest archer, gave him the best arrow from the best arrow maker, and the best bow from the best bowmaker. The archer then shot the arrow over the trees into the forrest. Then the chief sent all the scouts out to find it.

At that point, you bring up the pre Tiger, You explain that even in tribes, some boys are too young to look for the arrow, but that the next year, trhey will be old enough to search.

Each story segment is the intro for each rank to cross the bridge.

The pre Tiger crosses,. Then you bring up the Tiger part of the story, and then the next, and the next.

Thing is, each segment along wouldn't make sense by itself, and telling the whole story only works if all ranks are there.

The story about scouts climbing the mountaibn is really for AOL, and not graduation.

SO that's where I am at. The ceremony itself isn't a problem. WE have that planned out aklready.

I just need a stand alone Tiger graduation related story to tell during the progression of the ceremony.

SF,

I do a Bobcat ceremony that could be easily changed to a graduation or cross-over for Tigers. Itll work because its already set up as a stand-alone. It uses BPs Zulu boy story. Ill attach a link below. It really works the more you play it up. We turn out the lights, and light our Pack candle, then have them each light a small candle from the larger one. I have a drummer somewhere in the back of the room softly providing a slow, steady beat.

For Bobcat, I mark each of their hands with a white X. If you can find finger paint, that works best, but white-out will do in a pinch. I tell them that just like the Zulu boys who werent allowed back into the safety of the village before their paint wore off; the tigers are not to come back until their X was gone. They cannot wash the X off until they do their required good deed and can turn their badge over. The kids love that part, much to the dismay of the moms in the room. For Tigers, the whole scene is exciting and they pay rapt attention.

I really play it up. Tell them how difficult it was to be a Zulu boy. Lay it on thick about being eaten by lions or cheetahs (kids love cheetahs). I mention the Boers and the Hottentots and other tribes of African bushmen who would be out hunting for the young boys to do them in. All the while the drums are getting louder and the pace of the story is picking up.

I tell them that, while their challenge isnt as dangerous, it is just as important to our Pack as the Zulu boys was to their tribe. For the Zulus, it meant the difference between having warriors who could cut it and would be able to do the hard things required of them, or ultimately, destruction. For us, it is the same. Eventually, these boys will be our Webelos and counted on to be leaders for our Pack. Then theyll become Boy Scouts where the challenges are harder. Eventually, they will grow into the men who will lead our communities and nation. What will become of us if we pass a generation of boys who cant hack it or wont do the right thing? By now Im really going. No! We HAVE to make sure that you boys can cut the mustard. Otherwise, we might be in real trouble some day and who will come to our rescue? Who will protect us when were old and feeble?

You boys started on your quest to earn the Bobcat badge. You have done all the requirements. But to WEAR it, you have to perform this last challenge: Go forth and do a good deed. Not just one, but many of them. Commit yourselves to do good deeds whenever and where ever they are needed. Only after committing your first good deed and promising to continue, can you wash this X off. Let it remind you of the Zulu boy, his challenge and yours! The drums are pounding by this point and Im frenetically pacing back and forth in front of them telling the story. Then I ask them if they accept the challenge. The drums stop dead and they are wide eyed. When they accept, I have them recite the Cub Scout Promise and go down the line marking the back of their hands.

For you, you might be able to change it to: you have been in training all year to take this step. Now you have to fulfill your quest to follow the older boys on their path through Cub Scouting. We dont use a bridge for Bobcat, but you could have them cross over and get their X on the other side with their Tiger badge.

A lot of possibilities in this story. Its all in the presentation. The boys eat that stuff up.

http://img.dragonscouts.com/wordpress/wolfcubshandbook.pdf

*head-desk*

I've been fussitating with a bridging ceremony for my 2 Web2's all this time.

I didn't even THINK about "promoting" the other ranks. GAAAHH!

Sweet Winged Gabriel. I have a month to plan this (this is my first year at CM).

Thanks for bringing this up! There are some great ideas here!

Ann,

I have an entire ceremony canned and ready to go if you want it. It might at least be a starting point for you to modify to your particular group.

Not sure if I can attach files here, but I can send it through the message function on the board.

It's pretty long for a post.

Ann,

I spun a new thread off called ceremonies and dumped a few in there. There are a lot of great ceremonies out there on the net, so it will be easy to find some if you don't like mine. I like the fire idea. I've wanted to do ours outside for a while, but we have a lot of kids and it's always been easier to get them "dialed in" indoors.

Sorry for hijacking your thread SF.