wolf den leader

In the Wolf requirements, it refers to the back roll and the falling front roll. I had my son go through these at home, but think that some boys might hurt themselves doing this. Am I being too protective, or how can I provide a safe environment for them?

I'm really new, so forgive my ignorance.

Use a mattress, or some kind of padding, and have spotters on either side. In 15 years, I have never had a Scout injured doing these rolls.

Remember, the criteria to measure if a Cub Scout has completed a requirement is that he has done his best. It does not have to be perfect, the boys just need to "Do Their Best".

This is an interesting one to me. I met with the PE teacher and she said that it wasn't part of the curriculum until latter. She taught me how to teach it with a small bean bag under their chins so they tuck their chins. She had other hints also. I suggest spending 5 minutes with an expert to get all the tips.

In another area of the wolf book is the competitive relays. Developmentally, competition is very difficult for 7 and 8 year old boys. Once I de-emphasised winning all the boys had a better time and the den worked better.

Have fun with the boys.

Not at all an ignorant question! Good for you for putting safety first. Scout around (no pun intended) - find one of your den or pack families or friends that has a portable gymnastics mat they can lend out. Gym mats provide much more stability than a mattress. If you have concerns about your ability to teach or coach it properly, enlist a local PE teacher or gymnastics instructor.

Off-topic: AKdenldr - I dunno about that. My 6-year-old daughter understands competition juuuuust fine. There's got to be a winner and a loser - and if she's not that winner, she will be next time ;) It actually drives her to do and learn more, because she wants to be a better reader than Joe, or a faster runner than Emily. It's kind of new to me, because I've never been a really competitive type of person.