Questions on CS Leader Awards

OK I got a few questions on these things as I've been asked to help recognize some leaders who are moving on to Scouts in January.

1) Will SCOUTNET reject awards if the tenure does't meet SCOUTNET's records. Our charter has been screwed up since before I got here and some folks are still listed in the wrong position after several years, i.e. we have a WDL listed as a TCDL still and the other listed as a CSDL. Trust me the folks have repeatedly told the council the screws ups and the problems are still there, even after fixing it at recharters.

2)For the TCDL Award, one of the requirements states that "Graduate a TC den into Cub Scouting (my thought this is now outdated since TCs ARE full integrated into CS now) with at least 60% of the TCs become CSs."

How is this interpreted? Does it mean that 60% of the TCs stay the entire year and move up in May, or does it mean that 60% need to be active as Wolves? I'm told that my pack loses members over summers, despite having a bi-weekly program over the summer.

3)For CSDL Award again tone of the requirements state "Graduate a minimum of 60% of the eligible members of your den into a Webelos Den." Again how is this interpreted? Does it mean that 60% of the Wolves stay the entire 2 years and move up to Webelos, or does it mean that 60% of those who are Bears move up? Also Do they need to be active as Webelos?

4) For the WDL Award, it states 60% move into Boy Scouts? Again how is it interpreted: 60% of the den when it started, 60% from the beginning of the year?

At least here in our Council, the folks who handle awards check the tenure ... and it is what is listed in Scoutnet.

Otherwise the rest of the questions are similar -- have 60% of your current den start the next level of the program. No one says they need to stay active -- however, you will want to ensure there is paperwork (i.e., and advancement report filed) that supports.

I know the Packs down here don't do a great job submitting advancement reports.

3)For CSDL Award again tone of the requirements state "Graduate a minimum of 60% of the eligible members of your den into a Webelos Den." Again how is this interpreted? Does it mean that 60% of the Wolves stay the entire 2 years and move up to Webelos, or does it mean that 60% of those who are Bears move up?

Current Bears moving up. A Wolf who dropped out is clearly no longer "eligible" to move into Webelos. Also, consider that the den leader in question may have just been a Bear leader - tenure requirement is only one year - so he or she had no control in how the den operates as a Wolf den.

Does it mean that 60% of the TCs stay the entire year and move up in May, or does it mean that 60% need to be active as Wolves? I'm told that my pack loses members over summers, despite having a bi-weekly program over the summer. ... [Another question] Also Do they need to be active as Webelos?

It means moving into the new den/program level. The current den leader clearly has no control over how things work out for the boys in their next experience. Active or not, they moved up, and that's what matters in this context.

And don't forget that the graduation requirement is in the pick-five-of-these category. Someone could earn the award by holding regular den meetings, going to camp, having a den chief, having an ADL and doing a single den service project. Fairly simple stuff if you're doing the program right.

If that happens a lot of folks are messed over in my council! For whatever reason, charters are notorious for not having info update, despite repeated attempts to fix things. I know it took about a year to get my name on the charter as a TCDL, and I had to submit the paperwork 3 times to the council!

92 --

Had that issue here. The CM needed to stay an extra month so that he qualified for his "Unit Leader Award of Merit" ... he had been CM for two years in practice, but not on the paperwork, so he could not qualify for the CM award.

I tried, believe me, as his UC, I wanted him to get the proper recognition when he stepped down. (He's now the Pack Trainer - and I only took over working with the unit this last January.)

This is where the UC needs to play a better role. They need to be there to ensure the paperwork is submitted. And to follow-up with Council to ensure it has been done.

(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

E92,

That's certainly how I would read it. The DL can only be measured on the things he or she has direct control over, and that's the program year. A hypothetical: If you have a den of 10, and five kids move away over the summer after crossing over, then the DL shouldn't be eligible for the award? Doesn't make sense to me.