webelos pin wearing

Hi,

I was told by my wife the other day as she went and got a few pins badges for our webelos that from the lady at scout shop that national guess you would say is pushing only pins to be worn on the webelos colors not on hats any longer. has anyone heard about this?

Was lead to believe only place you could wear pins is on hats or colors. Now if is this true, what happens to boys that can't afford either?

Seems like it is a way to push for some extra$$$.

Yes, Webelos pins are (were?) to go on the hat or the Webelos colors. The hats used to have a mesh panel on the inside of the front that flipped down so you could put the pin back on and then back up to protect them.

The colors are $4.50. If there are Scouts whose families truly can't afford that, I'd be looking for a way for the boys to earn the money themselves (not just telling them to find something on their own, but organizing something they could participate in).

Thanks for the replies, I agree that the cost is not that much to ME. However with our pack getting dues paid is a struggle.We have families that won't try to fundraise to help THEMSELVES.

So I see this a being something else to deal with.

What I am really trying to find out is,that this a National Decision to that they can only wear pins on colors? Nothing else.

Never said boys all had hats.Only 2-3 boys have hats, 1 has both. What was stated again is national is no longer wanting boys to wear pins on hats thus pushing the colors.

Now if parent is having hard time money wise, it would be cheaper to buy the colors than the hat if you had to only choose 1.

I don't see a problem here. Your Council Shop person was incorrect.

The current BSA Insignia Guide clearly states that there are two OPTIONS, and that Webelos Activity pins can be worn on EITHER the Webelos cap, OR the Webelos Colors.

Until BSA comes out with a new Insignia Guide, or some other publication, which changes that ruling, it stands as is.

This is usually a PACK decision. In most every Pack in my area they use the Webelos Colors. The Packs will usually pay for them by incorporating the cost of the Colors in their annual budget, along with other advancement costs.

If your Pack is making the choice of cap or Colors a family option, and requiring the families to pay for them, then they can choose either one, or both.

If your Pack does not cover the cost of either the cap, or the Colors, and you have a family that can not afford either one, then the Scout will not be able to display his Webelos Activity pins on his uniform.

Or, the Pack can give financial aid to the family for this purpose.