Doing it right feels so wrong.

I held my first den meeting (Tiger cubs). The last 25 years I have had to work hard to resist getting up in front of the Boy Scouts and taking control of the meeting, now I'm the Tiger Cub Den leader and that's my job. Gut keeps telling me to ask which of the cubs is SPL and tell him to run the meeting.

wingnut,

Be careful what you wish for! Walk into a room full of 6-7 yr olds and ask them to run the meeting, they all raise they're hand and say they'll do it. :)

Hopefully they've taken you as one of their own and didn't chew you up and spit you out! So was it everything you expected? Did you and your son enjoy it? No turning back now, you're in it for the next 5 years!! Good Luck this year!

Something tells me that that is a good problem to have; at least better than the other way around - we hear enough about that on this board.

When I did Wolf, Bear, Webelos as a den leader, we maximized having the scouts plan and lead their own activities. We used the Denner and Assistant Denner positions and did planning meetings that worked (sort of) like a PLC.

We had 12 at the end of Webelos; all crossed over and most made it to First Class. Half are still in: 4 at Life, 2 at Star. Keep the faith.

Wing,

I hear ya! Had a similar problem last year. My solution was to recruit a DC. I am working with him so that he is running stuff and I'm "in the rear with the gear." It is a slow process, but it is coming along.

Not sure if it's every thing I'd though it would be, but that's mostly because I had no idea what to expect. No one holds transition classes for going from boy scouts to cubs. I've been in Scouts since '78 or '79 never was a cub.

As for fun I had plenty as did all the boys... How ever, a few of the parents aren't so sure of me after hearing me belt out 5 verses of "Ain't Gonna Rain No More No More" with my son. It was a bit out of tune but I'm blaming it on the garage, to much echo and it adsorbs the high notes or something like that. Need a shower stall to get the acoustics right anyhow.

*A Peanut sat upon the tracks his heart was all a flutter, along came the 2:15 Chew-chew peanut butter...

*Rich girl uses hair cream, Poor Girl uses lard, my girl uses Axel grease it comes out just as hard...

*Mary had a little lamb, the doctor was surprised. When old McDonald had a farm he couldn't believe his eyes...

*Rich man drives a Cadillac A poor man drives a ford, My old man comes round the block with 4 wheels and a board...

*I went to see my Girl Friend, her favor I was seeking, I misses her lips and kissed her nose and the gosh darn thing was leaking...

Did I miss any good ones?

May be next time I'll treat them to Dunderbeck