shed some light

Hi all, need to ask a question about tent sleeping arrangements I might have overlooked the answer to?

First I DO NOT want answers to ADULT and Youth sleeping arangements! Know the answer already.

this apllies to Webelos.

Can a Webelos scout sleep in his own tent?

I can see where having 2 boys in a tent is good for protection issues, but incase of a boy wants to or for the way it works out they end up in a tent by themselves is it okay?

Again maybe overlooked the area in G2SS all I know is the adult issue,please don't respond to the adult part, Thanks

First and foremost: Your son doesn't want to share a tent with you? LOL! YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!!!

Second: NO. The scouts do not have to buddy up together in tents. YP tells you what has to be done. That's it.

The reason that I see most kids pairing up ( or more) is if they are scared of them big mean crickets at night, or well, it' just fun.

Another reason is to spread the load: This kid carries the 10 man tent, this one carries the cooking stuff, this one carries whatever else..and so on.

The easiest way to look at it is this: If a scout wants to go camping, and mom or dad cannot attend, but find another adult to be responcible ( as is allowed per G2SS) then that scout would end up sleeping alone if all his scouting buddies decide to tent up with their own parents.

So..Is it your son? Or another scout? Man.....the luck always goes to somebody else! :)

No, there is no requirement that two Scouts be in a tent. That said, there are many reasons to do it. Easier for the buddy system, they can share tent duties (clean-up & pack-up), and they are less likely to be frightened. My son has been tenting both alone and in pairs since he was 5.

With our Webelos, some boys like to tent with their Dads, some like to tent with other scouts, and one boy likes to stay in his own tent. My plan was to have Webelos share tents, but we let them do what they want, as long as there is room.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to the practical reasons of sharing the work load, there is a further good safety reason for campers not sleeping alone - it gives an abuser the perfect opportunity to get a boy alone. This came up in discussion at a recent training, but is not a BSA policy.