2 Random observations

i was umm.....busy a while ago and reading my copy of the Cub Scout Webelos Handbook ( #334520 and happened to catch something.

A while back, the discussion of what defined active got pretty intense. Granted, to the best of my memory, THAT particular discussion was centered on BOY scouts and not CUB scouts.

Well in the case of CUB scouts - particularly Webelos scouts....I found a very specific definition of active, and it was listed as part of the requirements to earning the Webelos badge.

On page 49- requirement #2:

"Be an active member of your webelos den for three months.( Active means having good attendance, paying your den dues , and working on den projects.) "

Now, I suppose what constitutes good attendance" is still a matter of opinion, but it does specifically say that some attendance is required. In the book that the scout uses and that mom and dad have access to unlike some rules and regulations manuals. The WEbelos book is right there for them to see.

WEBELOS OVERNIGHT CAMPOUTS

Webelos do not have to have their parents to go camping.

On page 18 of the same book, parents can find a substitute adult to be responcible for their child

"In all cases, each Webelo scout is responcible to a specific adult. Boy Scouts of America health and safety and Youth Protection guidlines apply. If you or another adult family memebr can't attend, find a responcible adult to go with your son. "

Okay, I know that this is not qouting from G2SS or policy, but it is in the Cub Scout Webelos Handbook where the scout, the DL and mom and dad can read it plain as day. Matter of fact, that section of the book is directed specifically towards the scouts parents.

Again..I wasn't searching this info out...just having something to read when I came across it.

The parents of Webelos do not have to attend Webelos Den camping, but you should have their permission slips and medical forms. You and the other leaders will be the designated "responsible" adults for any Webelo that does not have a parent/guardian with him. Two-deep leadership and Youth Protection applies, but I highly recommend that you do more than two adults and invite as many moms or dads that enjoy camping to come along with you.

Good attendance and "active" are defined by your Pack. Set a reasonable attendance figure and expectation and put it into your Pack policy. In my opnion, any scout that cannot attend more than 50% of Den meetings and activities would be a concern.

That said, I'm not sure if I answered any of your questions if there were any.

Scoutbut: Two RANDOM observatons I had when I jusy happened to come across those two items in the Webelos book.

I have no plans, intentions or reason to institure a attendance policy.

My point was.. I was in the john and flipping through the book when I ran across these two items.

Jeffrey: Axctually, BSA came up with a definition of what would be considered "active". Wether or not it's considered clear or vague is still an arguement, but BSA decides that. Having a pack or troop decide falls under "adding to requirements" and changing BSA policy.