New Cub Program

FYI, Jamie Niss Dunn just sent around on another site the link to the Scouting.org "on line" version of the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide:

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide.aspx

As they used to say on Coffee Talk on SNL: discuss!

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

http://atlanta631.mypack.us/

I am all for boys going to Boy Scouts when they've earned their Arrow of Light -- not received it. Some boys in our pack have finished by October, have the required time, badges, and skills set forth, and they've been held back to going because the Pack wants them to cross all together at an OA AoL ceremony.

If a boy is ready to go, can acclimate to a troop and get registered for spring camporees and summer camp, more power to them! They're motivated and you shouldn't hold them back by not awarding their badge for a fancy ceremony.

Thanks bbender,

I like the idea, much like what we've had to develop on our own over the last 5 years. However, ...

I looked at the Webelos plan and I notice that the boys would earn 12 activity badges in the 9 school months meeting twice a month. I didn't look at the second year, but assume they earn the remaining 8 from September before B&G in Feb. To me this approach seems to be rushed, compressed, and superficial.

There has been a recent active discussion on this site of boys earning the AOL and crossing over into Boyscouts unprepared. That mostly focused on the "know" tasks of Law, oath, etc... What Web activity badges would prepare the boys for joining the preteen / teen boy world of boyscouts?

For my planning purposes I'm planning 8 in the first year (including camp and some summer activities.) We'll see where we are next spring as to what we want to accomplish past that. The Webelos leader guide will continue to be a good resource for me as they have the fun piece also prepared.

A matrix that allows for coordination for activities for achievements across the ranks would be helpful. I didn't see that.

My thoughts,

Great observations, Akdenldr.

On the question of earning 12 in one year, and 8 in the next, in two meetings a month, and whether that process is "rushed, compressed, and superficial", actually . . . though it depends on a variety of factors, generally I agree.

-- But that is NOT the same thing as saying that presenting the meeting plans covering 20 activity badges is wrong.

Let me explain . . . It depends on what you and your Den will do, and when.

Frankly, I don't expect that most Dens will do all 20 Activity Badges in Den Meetings, and certainly not on a 2x a month only during the school year program calendar. The reasons are:

-- Many (perhaps most) Dens will elect to take a more relaxed approach that Arrow of Light is good enough, and beyond that, do what's in your "sweet spot" of fun.

-- I suspect that many (I wish most) Webelos will have the chance to do a Summer Encampment, and some activities will be done then.

-- Many (I hope most) Webelos will do weekend camping and/or day hikes with Troops, and in the course knock out some of the nature/outdoor stuff.

-- And many Webelos Dens will meet more often (e.g., into the summer, perhaps more than 2x a month). So the material is there for them.

Myself, when I adapted Fast Tracks into Meeting Plans for my Pack and District (and then shared beyond like here), I punched in more meetings (to take a more leisurely pace in some) . . . on this idea, let me give this note to all: there is no reason on this earth why you can't take a single den meeting plan and spread it out over 2 or more meetings. And this note: you should spread it over more than one meeting if the boys are captivated and are into it!

Plus, beyond what ya gotta have for Webelos and Arrow of Light, everything else is gravy, optional -- not required, no mandate. In my take on the program, I wrote "follow the exact order only if that order makes sense for you and your Den" and "the Supplemental Meetings are random and you pick how many and which you would like to do, in whatever order you choose". I don't think there is anything in the official Guide that will contradict that -- for example, I think there are "after the meeting" notes that make it clear that you need to check what sequence of meeting you'll be using (for example, to line up with the schedule of an Activity Badge Counselor). As I've noted here and/or elsewhere, except for compliance with rank requirements as written, and safety rules, where the Guide says "do this in/as Meeting X", you should add the following phrase: "if that works for you and your Den"!

As far as "boys earning the AOL and crossing over into Boyscouts unprepared", as to the "the "know" tasks of Law, oath, etc.", I believe these pop up in several of the "Webelos" and "Arrow of Light" meeting plans. Now, as to "joining the preteen / teen boy world of boyscouts" this also doesn't assume that the Den crosses en masse into a single Troop (though some might), and this Guide doesn't make a Troop visit either a "Den Meeting" or a "Pack Meeting" (though, as noted above, you could do some of the activities in conjunction with a Troop visit, just be sure not to inappropriately count, like Outdoorsman Camping and AoL outdoor visit), but the Guide sure sprinkles in the reminders during the AoL meetings to set those interactions up.

-- Frankly, we've benefitted from "multiple" events during the Webelos Year.

-- Some of our new Scouts had three overnight campouts with our Troop during their Webelos year, which has been GREAT for integration of those guys into the Troop.

-- (Just because the requirement is do "one" visit to an outdoor event, doesn't mean you can't do more than one, or visit multiple Troops and pick what works for you!).

Last, on the topic of "a matrix that allows for coordination for activities for achievements across the ranks would be helpful. I didn't see that", yep, other than using the Table of Contents for each, and laying them alongside each other, there is no overall matrix. I should note that because we have lots of "mixed dens" / small packs in my neck of the woods -- e.g., Tiger + Wolf, Wolf + Bear + Web, Tiger + Web, (a) I've started to work on that matrix, but (b) just in trying to figure out the possible permutations of mixed dens, I get Gumby Cranial Syndrome ("my brain hurts", for those who follow M. Python), however © now that we see the Guide, I am intent to create some "paths" that will, effectively, offer that sort of matrix.

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

http://atlanta631.mypack.us/