Cub Scouts In Space Day Camp Ideas

Ok folks I need some ideas. Theme for CSDC is Space this year. My idea is to have a cross between NASA and Star Wars, i.e. a Farscapesque idea in which a NASA Crew, the cubs, get sucked into a time space wormhole transporting them to "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away."

So Some help and ideas would greatly be appreciated.

For example, I knwo NASA has some education packets that they will send, but does anyone have the contact info to get it.

Also what did you call the BB Gun and Archery Ranges?

Again any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Possible links of use to your planning:

-- The NASA "Space Place", at http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/cubscouts/index.shtml

-- A NASA and Scouting site (with various links) at http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/informal/features/F_NASA_and_Scouting.html

-- Space Camp (Huntsville, Alabama), at http://www.spacecamp.com/

-- A Scouting the Net Page with "space" search results (showing lots of past "monthly themes" used for Cubs, Baloo's Bugles for those months, etc.), at http://www.scoutingthenet.com/scouting/Training/Roundtable/Handouts/00/05/

-- Unofficial Site with space themed items at http://www.e-scoutcraft.com/themes/space.html

Hope these help.

Maybe make up fake black holes that lead into each area where you activities are going on.

Have a space shuttle making decorating contest.

Do not forget the 2010 Space Odessey Song. (Athough I think tha large monolith would be beyond the boys)

Maybe bring out a camera or camera crew and do space announcments.

Model rockets

Whack the Death Star (Pinata) (make the stick a broom handle that looks like a light saber)]

Light saber fights, (Use the Fun-noodle)

Sing alone to the Y-O-D-A Yoda song by Wierd Al

Take the buckin bronc and turn it into the jet ski looking things that they were racing through the woods on the planet Endoor

Maybe have someone dress up like the robot from 'Lost in Space' and they can go around and say "Danger Will Robinson, DANGER"

Maybe have some "Trouble with Tribbles" (Maybe a Large amount of the little pom-poms around at all stations and boys collect them and bring them back to HQ

Get a moon bounce to use on site

That is all I can come up with for right now

How about a do-it-yourself planetarium? Take a large piece of black fabric, maybe 10 or 12-feet square (you could cheap black fabric sewn together, landscape fabric which comes 10 or 12 feet wide, or maybe black polyethelyne plastic sheets) and use a silver Sharpie to draw in the constellations. Attach it to the ceiling or to the underside of a pop-up tent and you have your planetarium. All the kids come in, lie on their backs while someone explains the constellations. We did this at camp school and had maybe $10 in it.

A really great tie in right now would be to feature the winter sky and the story of Perseus and Andromeda with Pegasus the winged horse and Cetus the sea monster. That's the story of The Clash of the Titans, which comes out next week.

Look at your cooking activity, revise so the food fits the situation (maybe MAKE an energy snack).

Look at your woodcraft, maybe go back to the toolbox even if it's out of the rotation (space mechanics still need tools).

Don't forget about the Astronomy Belt Loop.

Ultimate can become "Flying Saucers."

There is a Space version of "If I were not a Cub Scout."

There is also the song, "R2D2,R2D2, C3PO, C3PO, Obi Wan Kenobi, Obi Wan Kenobi, Hans Solo, Hans Solo." (To the tune of "Are you Sleeping")

Again thanks everyone and please keep them coming. i had a good program put together, but looks as if I maybe going overbudget if I keep it. So I am trying to come up with alternatives.

John,

Know a cheap source for tool box kits? Cheapest I've found is approx $10 via Home Depot. And yep every spacer needs his own tool kit, just ask Han Solo. Just don't want the kit falling on your head.;)

E92,

We had access to a good wood shop, and made our own kits from plywood. We prototyped one, then determined how we could most effectively use a 4x8 sheet of plywood. We then ripped the sheet down into sub-assembly sizes, then used jigsaws with jigs to cut down to parts. We bought 1" dowel material, and again cut to suit.

One of our Scout Reservations, for our Bear overnight parent/child camp, does the same thing with 1x8 dimension lumber. For several years, an area mill has donated some excess.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

SctDad,

I was told that you can't use images of living creatures for targets, even if make believe, so Stormtroopers, Genosians, etc are out.

However Droidekas, Magnaguards, etc are open season at "Blaster Alley," Gonna use the Death Star Trench and proton torpedo idea for Archery. And I already got tyhe master target copies made ;)