define horseback ride

Just got in the new CS Sports and Academic books into my scout shop. Under the horseback riding loop/pin it says ride a horse for 20/30 minutes. Much to my disgust it doesn't define what a horseback ride is.

Is it: A) Sitting on a horse and having an adult lead line the scout around a ring/corral?

The scout has no control over the horse what so ever.

OR B) The scout is actively in control of the horse/pony, with an adult possibly walking beside him for safety if needed. As my son used to say he is "driving his own horse."

The reason I'm asking is I believe a horseback ride is where you are in control of your animal. Our local camp told a bunch of cubs that they'd earned both the loop and pin while at Christmas camp. The only problem is that due to camp rules the kids could only lead line ride. The kids were too short for a real horseback ride.

Would you give the kids both, one or none? I know that loops/pins realy don't mean much but where do we draw the line?

I've been on a horse maybe three times in my life. And based on lenght of time in the saddle, by far the most time I spent on a horse was at Philmont. We did the trail riding the last day on the trail at the camp on the back side of the Tooth of Time, the name of which escapes me.

Regardless, based on my experience with the trail horses at Philmont, I would say there is a third possibility, C) the horses are in control, do pretty much what they dang well please and you're just along for the ride.

http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=ride

#

When you ride a horse, you sit on it and control its movements. VERB

I saw a girl riding a horse. V n

Can you ride? V

He was riding on his horse looking for the castle. V + 'on'

They still ride around on horses. V adv/prep

It is just a belt loop. Relax, if the camp said they earned it then ok, they earned it. Looking at the requirements the could earn both the pin and belt loop in as little as an hour.

Belt Loop

Complete these three requirements:

1. Explain five safety precautions for when you are near a horse.

2. With help from an experienced horse handler, demonstrate how to safely mount and ride a horse and then how to safely dismount the horse.

3. Go on a supervised horseback ride for at least 20 minutes. Remember to wear a helmet that is approved for horseback riding (such as one approved for horseback riding by the ASTM, or American Society for Testing and Materials).

Sports Pin

Earn the Horseback Riding belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1. Learn about three famous horses. Explain why these horses were well-known.

2. Using pictures of these different animals, explain to your den or family the difference between a horse, pony, mule, and donkey.

3. Explain how a horse is measured and what a hand equals when measuring a horse.

4. Using a picture of a horse, point out the following main parts of a horse: forehead, muzzle, mane, withers, point of hip, knee, hoof, and root of tail.

5. Describe three different breeds of horses and explain what special feature makes each breed different from other breeds.

6. Using photos or pictures you have drawn, explain to your den or family at least three different ways that horses can help us.

7. Name five things that are healthy for a horse to eat.

8. Tell why it is important to wear an approved riding helmet when you go horseback riding.

9. Take a photo or draw a picture of the type of saddle you used during the horseback ride you took to earn the belt loop.

10. With your parent or adult partner, visit a veterinarian who cares for horses and large animals. Write the answers to three questions you ask him or her.

11. Spend at least 15 minutes before and after your ride getting to know your horse by talking calmly to it and stroking it slowly.

12. Go on a supervised horseback ride for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to wear a riding helmet. Show that you can safely mount and dismount the horse.

Belt loops are no big deal and a black hole for your Packs money. I have spent hundreds of dollars on belt loops for boys who never wear them.

I'm not an expert in this arena, but my beautiful bride is. From what I've observed over the years, there is a w-i-d-e range in young people of skill levels, body awareness, and, most importantly, self confidence around large animals. I would advise that *either* condition A or B would meet the intent of the requirements for Cub Scouts, depending on the cub himself, the animal, and the venue. The intent is to have the boy astride the horse and under motion for a period of time. At that age, some boys will be able to control the animal, other won't. But they'll both learn and grow.

My question is this; why create a belt loop and pin that all CS can earn, BUT then say that only Wolves and above can do the activity at scout functions.

Yes I am irked b/c I am a TCDL, and at the council functionin a few months i am goign to have to deal with this problem with my den. BUT more importantly there is a major disconnect between the different groups producing the awards and rules and regs. Some consistancy would be nice.

While I'm willing to bet you never find an absolute answer, I'm willing to bet it's more of an age based item, as well it should be.

Tigers maybe shouldn't be allowed to hold the reigns as they may shake them around and spook the horse. Know what I mean> At their age, Tigers see no difference between wanting toi be a cowboy and actually having learned to ride a horse and having experience.

Taking the reigns out of a Tigers hands is just a good idea.

With Wolves, maybethey can hold reigns,but still rely on an adult to "steer" the horse.

As a Bear, hold the reigns and even go outside of a coral, but still have the horse "steered" by an adult.

WEblos, well, maybe let them have control and be outside a corral. Maybe just riide within the camp /ranch area.

Then as Scouts. do the next thing such as actual riding on trails, through the woods , etc

Biggest thing is, judge it based on age and maturity.

Look at shooting sports:

.22 rifles are limited to Boy Scouts only. No Cubs at all.

Cubs can shoot BB guns, but only at Council/District events, no pack or den events.

Basement. Same here. My son is proficient with a .22 bolt action and a .22 semi. He owns a mid range BB gun which is catagorized as a "small game rifle'. The kind you can pump up to at least 10 times.

He has shot a .22 shotgun, a .410 and a 12 ga. The last being a bit too much based on barrel lenth wanting to topple him over.

Yet at a council or district camp, he can only use a spring loaded "You'll shoot your eye out!" Red Rider gun.

And he's horrible with it! The trigger is stiffer and harder to squeeze. He has to snatch the trigger even though he knows better.

He helps captain our 16 boat in the itracoastal water way. By that,I mean he's in full control of steering, throttle and direction.

Yet, he barely is allows to canoe at council camp.

"My cub hunts with 22 and he has a 20 gauge. but he can only shoot a spring action bb gun at camp. hmmmmm"

Yeah, I have the same issue with the archery stuff. My Webelos son has shot his own recurve bow in state and national competitions since he was a Wolf, but nope, can't earn the beltloop or pin unless he shoots with the lousy equipment at Scout Camp! Sheesh.

D-A is one of the few Scout camps that is a working ranch too. We take advantage of it. On one outing we took our Scouts (Boy Scouts not Cub Scouts) on a horse ride. The horses were not on a lead but they did trail each other single file. As Scoutmaster, the staff gave me the horse that needed the most control.

Well, all started off after being measured, helmeted and given basic instructions. All went along single file except the horse that my youngest son was on. He (the horse, not my son) decided that instead of going on the same stupid trail for the thousandth time or more, why not just wander over to the meadow and much on some new spring grass instead. My son "rode" him there with a puzzled look on his face. My older son and I continued along the trail. After about 20 minutes or so we looped back and my son was still on the horse (within supervision of the camp staf the whole time). I'd say both of us "rode" or had a horseback ride for the same duration. :)(This message has been edited by acco40)

Eagle.......so a tiger parent comes in and says their scout has earned it are you going to tell them no because it isn't allowed??????

Just asking the question

so you go to the local street carnival and they have the ponys that walk tied to the carousel, does riding a pony in this manner count????