Going back and earning lower Ranks

At our Pack Committee meeting last night our ACM made the statement that Cub Scout could go back and work on lower ranks.

Meaning that if a boy joined at the Bear level he could go back and earn the Tiger and Wolf ranks.

Our ACM said he called our DE and that this was verified by him.

I never heard this before.

I always thought that once a Cub was in the next grade level there was no going back.

What the scoop?

Don't have the books with me right now to give you a reference, but this is definitely NOT the case. I think it says so in all the Cub level handbooks.

Requirements are designed to be age-specific to most scouts' abilities, anyway - the Tiger and Wolf requirements should seem "too easy" or "boring" to a Bear. Between rank achievements, electives, and belt loops and pins, there should be plenty to keep him occupied at this level.

(I would hazard a guess that in most cases this is brought up by parents who are "completists"?)

Nope.

I've loaned out/given away my copies, but I think you will find the reference you're looking for in the Cub Scout Leader Handbook.

If it turns out the policy has changed and you can go back, please let me know. Eagle Scout son is still miffed with me that we didn't do Tiger Cubs. If it's allowed, I'm sure he will want to go back and earn his Tiger Badge.

Having 5 kids keeps me busy

2 are in a Venturing Crew and my youngest is a Wolf Cub

Thanks Twocubdad - I found in the Cub Scout Leader Handbook (2005) - page 18-5 second paragraph.

It says " He may not "go back" and work on advancements designed for younger boys."

TwoCubDad, that is a pretty funny image, especially if your Eagle-son is similarly dimensioned to mine, slightly over 6 feet tall and more than 200 pounds. It would be somewhat amusing to see him on a go-see-it to the firehouse or something, with all the little Tiger Cubs. (As a matter of fact that's just about all I remember from my son's Tiger year, going to a firehouse.)

Seriously though, I think the Cub Scout program has always been very clear on the fact that you only earn the badge for the age-appropriate year, with no going back.

Back to CNYScouter's post: It should be no surprise that local units sometimes stray away from "the book", when a professional Scouter is giving out such blatantly incorrect information. Actually, several of the DE's I have known wouldn't have known the right answer to a Cub Scout advancement question either, but they knew they didn't know, and would have referred the volunteer to the leader's handbook or other source rather than make something up.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Yeah, like the boy is going to want to do three ranks at once. CNY, Which type A parent is interested in this?

Had a Cub in the Pack I commish. CM asks me (in October)if they could award this Cub his Wolf from the previous year, because his Den Leader had ceased being DL and did not get a chance to sign off on the boys requirements. The new DL (now Bear Den) said that the parents had approached him with this. The previous DL had signed off on the other boys' req's before the year was up, and had promised (so said) to sign off the Cub's req's before the turn of the school year, but didn't before he/she left. I said I saw no reason to penalize the Cub for an adults lapse. If the DL and parents (Akela) and CM were satisfied he had met the req's, award him the rank, postdated if you will.

Then too, I guess that wasn't really "working" on a younger rank...

SSScout, I think your example is indeed perfectly ok. It seems the boy only wants what he worked for and earned. I see no issues with that.

My own son joined as a Wolf and after earning his Bobcat and Wolf badges, asked me about getting Tiger. I told him that he couldn't earn it for two reasons:

1) The rules and what thy said etc..

2) It would be like taking a test witha bunch of kindergarteners who are just learing the alphabet - of course my son would ace it, but he was a few years smarter than the test age too. He actually understood that more than what the oficial rule.

Hey, whatever works!

But I am curious...as an Assit Den Leader who was never a scout... can I go back? I mean, I am a leader after all! LOL!

• 1 month later...

The Lion Cub Book(yes,Lion Cub) Copywrite 1954,States:page #5 10Yrs Old

"When you complete your Bobcat tests, you may do either of two things:

1. You may start with your Wolf and Bear acheivements and earn your Wolf and Bear badges, Then Begin your Lion acheivements.

OR

2. You may start right out on your Lion acheivements and earn your Lion badge.If you do this you will not recieve you Wolf or Bear badge, but you will get a quicker start toward becoming a Boy Scout."

Obviously things have changed but it was common practice and policy in the "old Days".

You can work on requirements at any age. However, you may only earn badges at certain ages. :)

There is a progression based on age/grade but one does not "go back." The only wiggle room that I used, when I was a DL/WDL, was the ambiguity of summer. For example, your son finishes 2nd grade in mid-June and starts 3rd grade in early September. I allowed the boys to work on Bear if they completed their Wolf requirements (as most did) but gave a Scout the option of earning his Wolf if he would like with a deadline of the first day of school. Of course, he could work on Bear without earning the Wolf if he so desired.

Now, I've seen vehement arguments on when one becomes a "3rd grader" - right after finishing 2nd grade or on the first day of 3rd grade? - but I let the interpretation that was in the best interest of the Cub Scout stand.(This message has been edited by acco40)