Uniform Inspection

In my current district, only time a UI is done is at the Camporees and Webeloree. So most CSs don't get inspected, and I have yet to see a leader inspected. We use the sheets found here.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/forms.aspx

When I did the inspection for the BS, I had a copy of the IG and the sheets, just in case we had some challenges about patch location, which we did. I also allowed the scouts to correct their uniforms prior to being inspected. And I had a sewing kit available to help them out.

Now as a youth, we had an annual district inspection day. The entire district, CS, BS, and Explorers, met in the historic district of town, and adults (I am assuming UCs, as a youth I didn't really pay attention) went down the den/patrol/crew ranks of each unit and did an inspection using the sheets above. Once you wore finished, you received your patch and pass top the various museums.

One thing to remember now is the Cenntennial uniform. When it came out, there was no Insignia Guide or inspection sheets to tell you what to wear and how to wear it. You only got a brochure, WHICH the IG and IS contermanded when they came out 7 months later, i.e. CS and leaders wearing green numbers. ALSO the brochure said you can mix and max elements of the uniforms. So you may very well see Webelos and CS leaders with green numbers, and Scouts with red numbers and knee socks in their Centennial uniforms.

Have not had too many, and all are at SM/ASM suggestion.

I think the battle of "tuck it or shuck it" or "nice skirt, I did not know we had GS visitors" has been won.... as I hear more of the Scouts in the Troop say it before I get too (ASM).

What I would like to see are Patrol leaders doing a quick look-see at meetings/activities and squaring the patrol away instead some stiff inspection.

Incentives like 3 regular-size candy bars (for the most complete uniformed - more than just what is expected), mini's treats with minimal Troop -T's, and hard candy for the rest.

I don't make a big issue of uniforms other than wearing it un-tucked or un-buttoned. I can't stand the OA sashes or the flat hat tucked in a belt. But maybe that's my own pet peeve because they see other OA Scouts do it.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

I had a problem in my bear den with long ago earned badges still dangling with a safety pin from the shirt pocket.

I recently added a uniform inspection to a den meeting, it was a huge hit. I anounced it in email way in advance as "parent homework". (I modified the official form to things I was concerned with -- I don't care if the belt buckle is the right one for their rank.) I had a military dad talk about the uniform and respect and all that. Lots of complements were handed out, no awards, or candy.

The boys liked the words of "uniform inspection" and their point scores. Many of those dangling items got sewn on. Some that were in drawers were sewn on also.

Since the boys liked it so much I'll add it again, probably before camp.

Back in the day (1960s), once a year the Pack would have a uniform inspection.

Den by Den, our Cubmaster and another adult would look at each of us, using the uniform inspection sheet.

If we got a perfect 100, we were allowed to sit on the stage floor of our school auditorium (Pack meeting place), with our feet dangling.

It was pretty cool to earn 100 as I recall.

Craigslist

Ebay

Thrift Stores

I have sort of a standing order at the local thrift stores for any scout uniforms that come in. Some give them to me no charge, others I donate.

Thru these I have accumulated a uniform closet for the Pack and Troop. It has taken a couple of years to gather them and get the patches sewn on.

The problem is determining true need.

I have Stay at home mother's asking for free uniforms who drive Ford Expeditions, wear expensive cloths and have the latest smart phone with expensive ring tones.

I also have given uniforms to young men of need only to never see them again. Part of the deal I guess.

In our pack we have a uniform inspection as part of every pack meeting. As part of the gathering activity, Scouts present themselves to the Cubmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster. They are awarded tickets for our door prize drawing for attendance, and proper uniform (tucked in, neckerchief, etc.) extra tickets are awarded for official pants and bringing a food shelf item.

At the end of the meeting we have a drawing for small food items (Little Debbie, storebought cookies) and $1 items like water bottles, clearance books from the scout shop, just stuff leaders pick up for very little.

Eagle92

If you have your SM/PLC on same page with uniforming:

Uniformed Scouts are chosen/selected/asked 1st for flag raising/retirements.

Sometimes put Scouts in a line based on the completeness of uniform when sorting for an activity (not rely on it always, just one of a few sort methods).

Excuse uniformed Scouts 1st when an activity ends.

Call uniformed Scouts up front when going on a hike or getting on the bus or queuing up for a treat.

Basically put importance on the uniform method, without "stiff inspections", and above all ADULT Scouters properly wear the uniform. The best example is sometimes just seen and not spoken.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

"Basically put importance on the uniform method, without "stiff inspections", and above all ADULT Scouters properly wear the uniform. The best example is sometimes just seen and not spoken."

While my pack doesn't currently conduct uniform inspections, I can see issues that would arise just from the adult standpoint.

I have been to the scout store 3 times fot pants.They just do not have pants in my size. Likewise, being a new ADL, I ended up buying the new Centenial shirt. Trust me,I wanted the old shirt to match the existing leaders. The fact the old shirts were on a clearance sale for $9 was also a big factor, but again,out of my size.

So now I have a new shirt. Green and khaki numbers on it. My trained badge is green/khaki too. All the other leaders have nice bright red/white numerals/ badges.

My ADL patch in on my tech pocket which none of the current (read longer than a year ) leaders have.

I can wear a hat that matches my den, a leader hat or no hat.

I can wear a leader neckerchief, the Bear neckerchief, or a tie.

My choice. And each leader can choose a different variation too.

Now I am supposed to judge these boys on their uniforms, when the main idea behind "uniform" is that all are alike without variation? LOL!

The most uniform thing you will see in our pack is Koolaid stained mouths and grass in their messed up hair!

Now don't get me wrong... I have always taken pride in every uniform I have ever owned. Wether it just be a work uniform, my Fire Dept color guard, water Rescue tech uniform , or my Cub Scout Leader Uniform.

I just find it hard to Be "uniform" when there is no apparent uniformity to the rules! Just saying...there are way too many options!

(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

DG,

Question is for CS level. For whatever reason, around here it is the Cubs who tend not to have the full uniform. At the boy scout level 99.9% do have the full uniform, usually the new scouts and the SCOUTREACH units, won be in full uniform. Then again the BS get inspected 2x per year, and those inspections count towards the camporee point system. Besides I'm use to weekly uniform intersections by the SPL, with the points going to Patrol of the Year award.

Scoutfish,

I wouldn't worry about the patch discrepancies. National fouled that up when they didn't publish an Insignia Guide in time for the Centennial uniforms. And the brochure that they did publish did say mix and match was allowed, which is a good thing too since they changed the info to state that Cubs and their leaders, wear red and whites instead of the tan and greens.

Besides I have a new shirt too, and I've been around for a while.

I hold an inspection about once a year. Usualy after several warnings that one will occur. I have a big problem with kids that have a full uniform showing up in jeans and a pack t-shirt or in jeans and a scout shirt. We meet at a church school where all the kids have to wear blue pants. These are the kids that show up a couple of hours after school in jeans and t-shirts. My boys that go to pubic school and don't have a uniform code are the ones that show up fully dressed ( hats to socks). The church school boys don't even have BSA pants.

I give out a uniform inspection patch ($1.25 each) from the scout shop at the pack meeting after the inspection and make a big fuss over the boys that passed. Last time I even called up a TC little brother and fussed over him too (his den had finished early the night of the inspection). My worst offender for not wearing a uniform is the CM's kid. The CM sees nothing wrong with jeans and a pack t-shirt, his kid is in a "class B". Our den rules as set by the boys list wearing a full uniform (hat to socks).

I do the same sort of thing with an "on time" patch for the kids that show up on time. As tardiness starts to become a problem, I give a warning or 2 then drop the patch on the ones that show up and are ready to go at the meeting start time. I don't ding a kid if he's stuck on the freeway behind a wreck either.

I do like the idea of a special treat as a reward too.

We are a bit more relaved about uniforms anyways i suppose. For den meetings,you can wear your class a shirt or not, doesn't matter,You can just wear a pack t-shirt too.

For pack meetings,crossover events, campouts, Blue and Gold,or PWD, you wear the Class A: Shirt, hat, neckerchief, slider and proper belt.

As we are a cub pack, pants are completely optional. These boys will take a pair of pants that are 5 minutes old and go outside to play for 10 minutes and come back with both knees torn completely out.

Jeans do tend to hold up better than scout pants. Figure how fast these boys grow...well, whatever helps cut costs.

Biggest thing is trying to get them to understand about tucking in shirts and pride in their appearance.