Cub Scout Advancement Forms

I been approach from Council that the pack is not completing the advancement forms for the pack. The pack is buying the awards but not submitting the forms.

I am the SM for the troop and was asking for an advancement form for the Webelos crossover and found out no paperwork has been done for a year. There are Arrow of Light boys with the badges but not listed with the council.

The CM, I beleive, does not know how to fill out the advancement form for the pack. Does anyone has an example of an advancement form for Webelos?

The Advancement Report for Webelos is the same one that is used for Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, Varsity Teams, Venturing Crews, and Sea Scout Ships.

It is the same one that you should be using for your Troop.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34403.pdf

For Cub Scout Advancement, the form needs to be signed by a registered member of the Cub Scout Pack.

Why would your council contact the SM of a Boy Scout Troop for Cub Scout information? Why is your council Scout Shop selling rank awards without the Advancement Report? Why is your council just questioning this now?

If you know the CC of the Cub Scout Pack give him/her a heads up about this problem. They need to fix this ASAP.

You still use the Advancement Report with Internet Advancement. The report is populated with the advancement info you enter online. The report is generated, you print it out, get it signed, turn it in to your council to purchase advancement awards.

Of course if your council does not require paperwork in order to purchase restricted awards then you might never have a need for the report. However, it is still available to you in Internet Advancement.

If a scout shop is sellign restricted items, then the person the SE, DFS, DE, or whomever approached you should be the scout shop manager and/or staff, not you.

The link provided is the correct form and itdoes need to be filled out in triplicate: one you you, one for the council and one for the district. Most shops will have the forms available in carbonless triplicate, and the back of the last sheet lists 95% of the restricted items that need to be put on it.

But if memory serves here is what goes on it.

All Rank: Tiger , Wolf, 2nd Class, Apprentice etc.

All Webelos Activity pins

All MBs

All Venturing recognitions: Silver, Quest, Ranger, etc.

I belive all Electives need to go in it to, but don't quote me on it.

The reason why Council contacted me is because I am in Council at least once a week. The council like using me (SM) at a point of contact for the troop and pack since I follow through(A Scout is Helpful).

About selling the restricted items(CS, NOT BS) without Advancement reports, seems to becoming more of a common practice. My son in another state received all of his CS ranks and there is no report on his record with that Council. His mother bought his bear rank at the shop since his cubmaster told her that she can do it without an advancement form.

The CS did not know about the form, so the CS wants me to give him an example of what to put in the form. The CS does not have access to internet yet(6 month). So can anyone give me an example or suggestion what should go on an advancement form for a pack? Ranks, Belt Loops, Pins, LNT, Summertime Camp, Arrow of Light?

RD

No problem. reread the post, and I sound grumpy. Sorry not my intent nor aimed at you. As I have learned keeping ALL advancement and recognition records is very important, especially since SCOUTNET is suppose to kleep track of your entire history, including youth advancement. Let's just say I've had problems with SCOUTNET.

Any what as to what items go onto the advancement report, best suggestion I can tell you is to get a tripart form from the council shop, and look at the back of the last page. There should be a list of EVERYTHING that goes on that report.

Now some recognitions require a separate form if memory serves. I believe the CS Outdoor award is one of them.

While the council might like using you as a "point of contact" with the Pack because you are in the council offices a lot, the fact of the matter is that you have no control over anything to do with the Pack. The person your council should be contacting on these matters is the Cubmaster (CM), and/or the Pack Committee Chair (CC) directly. Your council has contact info for both of them in their records.

Your council also needs to speak with the folks working in their Trading Post and insist they collect the Advancement Report form before selling rank awards. No form - no awards.

All rank awards (Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, Arrow of Light (AOL)) need to be listed on the Advancement Report form by Scout. For info on any other advancement type awards (Tiger Trax beads, arrow points, Webelos Activity Badges, Compass badge/points, etc) the Cubmaster (CM) should contact your Council Trading Post (or the Council Registrar since the Trading Post seems not to be doing their job correctly). Different councils require different things.

My council only requires rank awards and Webelos Activity Badges to be listed on the Advancement Report. They will NOT sell them to you with out the signed form.

Since the Cubmaster (CM) does not have access to the internet to print a copy of the form, the Committee Chair (CC) seems to be out of the picture, and the Pack does not seem to have an Advancement Chair, the Cubmaster (CM), or you, can pick up a large handful of these forms at your local Council Trading Post.

I would suggest, if you want to help the Cubmaster (CM) out, have him contact your council himself. Trying to get correct information second hand, especially from someone who does not seem to understand it either, is not a good idea. He should go right to the source (your council) for correct information, and any questions.

I would also suggest you convince him to take Cubmaster training.

A side note - Many of the problems with recording Cub Scout advancement stem from the fact that Cub Scout advancement is not required. A Cub Scout does not have to earn the Wolf Rank Award in order to become a Bear and earn the Bear Rank Award. Earning Rank Awards are basically optional, with movement to the next Cub level automatic as of June 1st of every year. As a result some councils do not enter Cub Awards into ScoutNet (or require filled out Advancement Reports).

The ONLY Cub Scout award that could possibly impact a Scout would be Arrow of Light (AOL). If a Scout is going for Eagle, the Eagle Application asks about earning AOL and when he crossed to a Troop. Incorrect dates (or none) for AOL in the system have the potential to mess up a Scout's advancement information down the road.