TIGER CUB IMMEDIATE RECOGNITION QUESTION

Hello there, I am completely new to scouting and in fact, the pack that my son belongs to is brand new so I don't have much guidance on how to do things. I am the assistant den leader for the tiger den. I have read and researched everywhere and can't find any guidance on this.

When awarding the boys their Tiger immediate recognition emblem, do you award it with the strings attached or not? When I bought them the strings are not already attached. I am just wondering if you attach the strings once the beads start being earned or do you go ahead and attach them before awarding the emblem. I need to know the answer of this quick!! I HAVE FOUR TIGERS READY TO EARN THIS TONIGHT AT OUR DEN MEETING.

Also, if you do attach the strings prior to awarding them, how do you secure them so that they will not fall off?? Thanks in advance for anyone that might be able to help me with this.

Either way is acceptable... But saving the strings until you need them may keep them from getting lost.

If I remember correctly, that kit comes with 4 strings. My advice, use 2 from each kit, and save 2 for lost strings down the road.

Loop a string like an upside down "U" hanging from the left 2 holes, and do the same with the other string in the right 2 holes, and you only need 2 to hold all 4 strands of beads.

That will be plenty long enough.. Just make sure you tie them well at each end, so the string can't slide out. If you can leace some spare string after the knot, slip that string back over the bottom most bead, and into the bead above it. That will keep the knot from getting untied.

Put the strings on. You will then not have to try to figure out later on if little Tony needs a string or not.

Take one string - fold it in half - take the folded middle and put it thru one (1) hole partway - take the 2 ends and bring them up thru the resulting loop - pull tight.

This keeps the string on the Totem without a need for knots.

Most likely the boys will have also earned at least one bead along with their Totem.

Slip the bead on one of the strings - push it part way up - take the bottom of the string and bring it up, around the bead, and back down the hole at the top - Pull snug.

Again, this will lock the bead on without knots, and only has to be done with the bottom most bead. Knots in the plastic cording slip out VERY easily.

A suggestion from personal experience:

Go to your local craft store ( or maybe even the CVS or Rite Aid) and look for twisty shoe laces. They come in multi colors and work like a charm. Slip one on the plastic holder. Award the bead then and there by stretching the lace out, slip the bead on, and swoop, the lace twists back and the beads don't fall off! Place the beads on evenly, side to side. Comes time to take them off, stretch the lace out and they slide right off.

Good for CSDC beads , too.

Oriental Trading has'em, among other places.

Don't forget to repeat the Cub Scout Mantra... KIS MIF KIS MIF....

*(keep it simple, make it fun)

YiS

• 2 weeks later...