Den meeting activities for meeting with a few new boys

Hello all,

After 2 years together we're losing one boy and gaining 1 or 2 new boys. It's a good time to add boys as they'll have an opportunity to go to camp with us. We've just finished our Wolf year.

Anyone have suggestions for games, activities, and conversations for our next den meeting?

I'll have 8 or 9 boys at the meeting. The boys all know each other from school.

Thanks much in advance. These forums are amazing!

Wow, that's like being asked to bail out the titanic with a thimble!

There is tons of stuff to do, but probably the best idea, is get them out side and "ask them" to come up with things they would like to do.

You should suggest reasonable alternatives, but let them "storm up all kinds of crazy ideas".

When I was DL/WL/CM I made sure to get some kind of service to community if I could (tree planting, park/school litter pickup, creek bed cleanup, etc...but I would be the first to agree to "water baloon toss, frisbee golf, kickball, nature hikes and group games".(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Thanks dg98adams,

To clarify I'm just looking for ideas around the new boys joining and change to the group.

Already I have too many ideas for the last few meetings of the school year. (Although I'm adding water baloons -- as soon as the snow melts!)

We're doing scouting for food this weekend, creek cleanup in May, bird watching, hopefully a hike and bike ride.....

If the boys already all know each other than there is not a whole lot to do in way of introduction.

You might welcome them to the den with a special/fun necker slide, and ask them to tell a bit about themselves (like favorite activity). You could then go around and have your current Scouts do the same thing. While they all go to the same school, they might not really know each other all that well.

After that I would have the "old" Scouts help the new Scouts with the Bobcat requirements.

While the odds are slim that the newbies will be able to complete the Wolf rank in the time left, they should certainly be able to earn their Bobcat.

with them all knowing each other with same school and same grade there isn't much you really have to do...

now with my son's Boy Scout troop any time they have a new boy visiting the troop (usually Webelos checking us out) we have them all come up front and introduce themselves, tell their shoe size, and the color of their toothbrush... it's always a fun thing to do and once they are members of the troop they look forward to the next group of visitors.