Help setting up a new pack

I have just started as Cubmaster of a previously dysfunctional pack. All of the parents in my den, and a few from one of the other dens are willing to help out with duties, but all of us are new to scouting. Can some of you seasoned veterans help me out with a list of duties or titles that I can incorporate into my Pack Commitee?. i.e. treasurer, sectetarty, and so on.

Also I would appreciate any advice in general on running a pack.

To be honest, the Cub Scout Leader Handbook has all the positions and duties listed in it.

On-Line training is available for fast-start for all positions.

District should provide Position Specific Training.

Roundtables are a GREAT source of knowlege.

Find out who is your Unit Commissioner and use him/her as needed for fill-in training (one-on-one or Pack).

Good Luck. As Cubmaster, your main duties will be as Master of Cerimonies at the Pack meeting and to keep things moving. Remember, a boy will fill in any time you do not have anything happening with something you do not want to happen. Get some comfortable "tap" shoes for when you have to "tap-dance" waiting for the den to get ready with the skit they were supposed to have ready.... SMILE

YiS,

Rick

Well to start with, you need a new den leader for your den. As Cubmaster, Cubmaster should be your primary/only responsibility, especially with a new Pack.

Next, you need a Pack Committee Chair. It is NOT "YOUR" Pack Committee. The Pack Committee is overseen by the Pack Committee Chair, NOT the Cubmaster.

Positions your Pack Committee Chair REALLY needs on the Committee - Treasurer, Fundraising Chair (can be Treasurer), Advancement Chair, & BALOO trained Activity Chair. All other positions can pretty much be consolidated, or not used, until you are a bit bigger, and more established.

Councils are running their Spring Trainings now - Sign up ALL ADULT LEADERS for training ASAP. Suggest all unregistered "helpers", take the online Fast Start and Youth Protection trainings.

Good Luck!

Frequently, parents want to help but don't want to be a den leader or hold a major position (i.e. committee chair, treasurer, secretary, etc.) in the pack. Ask, and they will usually help out in a more minor position. Examples are:

--preparing and distributing a monthly pack newsletter.

--preparing and distributing informational fliers for upcoming pack events & summer camp

--summer camp coordinator

--refreshment coordinator at pack meetings and/or pack events

--person who stores pack equipment. For instance, they could bring the flags to pack meetings, and store items like your pack's Pinewood Derby track, when and if you obtain one.

Also, as others have pointed out, you're not the leader of the committee, the Committee Chair is. Basically, the CC is the admistrative arm of the pack.

Attendance at monthly district roundtables by you and/or your committee chair will likely be very valuable at this point. You will receive valuable information about upcoming district & council events, and also meet district personnel and leaders from other packs in your area. These other leaders, many of whom have a few years under their belt, can be wonderful sources of information. Perhaps your district executive can put you in touch with an experienced committee chair and/or cubmaster from another pack that is willing to sit down with your committee and give you organizational suggestions.

Training is incredibly important for all of your pack leaders as soon as possible.

I'd like to agree with what was said earlier -- for a bunch of newbies, I think the best thing you can do is to spend the half hour (or less) and do the Fast Start training online. It is an easy introduction to how units should operate. For the Cub level, they have Fast Start tailored to CC, CM, Tiger Cub DL, Wolf and Bear DL, and Webelos DL.

You can find the online training by going to scouting.org, and click on MyScouting. You can register now, and then later on when you get your ID card, you can enter in the membership number to get credit for your online training.

After Fast Start, Youth Protection Training might take another 20 to 30 minutes.

If things are going well, someone in another post listed an online source for New Leader Essentials (the national rollout of a replacement course is in the works).

Spending $12 or so on the CM Handbook is a great idea. Time spent in that manual is time well spent. It has answers to almost everything you want to know.

Guy

Thanks for all of your advice, its all very helpful. Im sure its going to go fine, and I will fumble my way through.Sounds like a trip to the local Scout Shop is in order. This forum is woderful, and a great source.