PWD project for small packs

I would like to write a software application geared towards smaller packs that cannot afford some of the expensive derby apps that are out there and are looking to manage races easily. The software would:

1. Be open source (free to use)

2. Be limited to running 2 lane races with no max on racers

3. Use VB .NET 2008 and MS SQL 2005/2008

4. Have features that would be helpful, such as certificates.

5. Not have the ability to control timers/gates but would accept time entries.

I have the logic needed for creating a streams method of racing but am looking for opinions as to which other medthods are better/prefered and would create more fun for the kids, such as Perfect-N Type Charts and Round Robin.

Which would you recommend and could you possibly explain the logic behind that method? This will help me in setting up the logic.

If you are a small pack, i.e. less than 20 kids, would an application such as this benefit you and what features would you like to see?

Thanks

I think what you are looking for is something similar to what I asked about. I knew that there was some Excel Spread sheets out ther that had what you were looking for.

As low as two lanes and many different ammounts of racers.

I am in the process of going through the files that I found. If you PM me iwth you e-mail I will send you some of them when I get to a better connection.

First, it's STEARNS METHOD, not streams.

Why are you so fixated on 2 lanes? Even with 20 boys, it takes longer, so the boys end up racing less. And hopefully you will not stay at 20 boys. Next year you could have 30, or 40. That number of boys would take an unaccceptable amount of time to race on just 2 lanes. A 3, or 4, lane track makes much better sense for the long haul.

And why do you feel you need to do this?

If you do a quick Google search on pinewood derby program you get 1,050,000 hits. There are a lot of good programs already out there, and they are free. Why do you need a new one?

Also, I thought your Pack did not want to pay for a new track this year, and the Pack you borrow from runs the derby for you using all their own equipment and software?

Thanks for the correction on the Stearns Method.

I spoke to our CM again at length and I've come to the conclusion that he is going to do whatever he wants without bringing it to a vote. With that in mind, my son, his friends and I are going to build the 2 lane PWD track for our use outside of the BSA. Most of his friends are in his den and live in the neighborhood. It's going to serve as a great project as far as teaching them some skills and they can have their own races when they want. I am paying for the whole thing so it's going to be my own personal track.

I have looked for applications on the net and the free ones are not what I envision the application to be. They are not well thought out and are not user friendly. So, I'm going to write my own and start small with a 2 lane version.

From reading other posts, there are plenty of packs out there running only 2 lanes. I hope my project can benefit them when done.

"geared towards smaller packs that cannot afford some of the expensive derby apps that are out there"

The most popular race management software packages are in the $50-$60 range. To me, that is not very expensive at all. Especially when compared to the cost of a track and a timer.

Besides, as I wrote in another thread, people are paying for more than just the license to use the software, they are also paying to get support when they have questions or problems. Can you get support for freeware and shareware apps? Sometimes, if you are lucky.

I'm not trying to criticize your effort. I just wanted to point out that the commercial race management packages on the market are truly not that expensive and you should be able to get support for them when needed.(This message has been edited by gpraceman2)