What uniform to wear?

I will be going to my son's Pack meeting tonight.

I missed last month's due to a work commitment.

I haven't been registered in a Pack position yet but plan to.

I am currently only registered as a Venturing Leader.

What uniform would you wear to the Pack meeting?

I have a Boy Scout uniform with no unit number or postion patch that I could wear w/blue tabs.

or do I go with my registered position and wear the Venturing green?

or no uniform at all as I am not a registered Pack Leader

If one is going to a scout event and they are currently registered in the scouting program, they wear their program uniform regardless of the event. If one is registered in multiple programs and is attending a district or council event, then one may choose. If I am a SM attending a Blue/Gold, I wear my Boy Scout uniform because that's where I'm registered. If one were to accept the logic of not registered in a Pack, no uniform, then I as SM would need to wear no uniform, ... not gonna happen. At scout events, wear the uniform one is registered as.

Stosh

If you are a SM at a B&G, it is most likely because you were invited because you ARE the SM. You are there in the position of SM.

As a Tiger Partner, CNYScouter can wear the Adult orange Tiger t-shirt or sweat shirt. If you feel strongly about it, wear your Venturing uniform. However, I would NOT wear a generic BSA uniform with no badges and blue loops. Personally, I think that would be tacky and could be seen to be meant to focus attention on you, rather than where the attention SHOULD be focused at a Pack meeting, on your son, the Tiger Cub Scout.

You are a registered member of Scouting so you wear a uniform. Wouldn't wear the Scout uniform with blue loops as you are not a CS leader, YET :) Wear the Venturing uniform, and be prepared for 2 things: 1) CS, leaders, and parents asking about the uniform and Venturing and 2) filling out an application to be a CS Leader.

Good Luck.

Yah, uniforms are an outward sign to others of the role a person is functioning in, eh?

Da role you are functioning in tonight is that of a parent, or a tiger partner. So yeh should wear the uniform of a parent or tiger partner.

Wear your Venturing uniform only if you were asked to represent Venturing or to perform some function as a Venturing leader at tonight's pack meetin'. Otherwise, it's not appropriate, and serves only to call attention to yourself.

In the same way, a police officer who is a parent is goin' to take off his police uniform comin' to a pack meeting. But a police officer who has been asked by the pack to give some presentation as a police officer should wear his uniform.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I feel the same way as jblake47 in that it is a Scout function and I should be wearing a Scout uniform as I am a registered Scout Leader (just not in the Pack).

But I also think that wearing the Green Venturing uniform will make me standout more than wearing the Tan Scout uniform with no number and will allow me to blend in with the other leaders.

I plan on becoming a Leader in this Pack but I just haven't been able to sit down with current Pack Leaders and discuss my role.

In talking with the CM they are still getting Tigers signing up and may need to create two Tiger Dens and would need another Den Leader.

As I plan on being involved with this Pack as some type of registered leader I didn't bother to get the Adult orange Tiger t-shirt or sweat shirt.

I plan on becoming a Leader in this Pack but I just haven't been able to sit down with current Pack Leaders and discuss my role.

Yah, hmmm...

I think it's up to da pack to determine who it invites to be a registered leader, and when, eh? It's fine to intend to offer to serve in some way if our skills match the needs of the unit. But it's their decision whether to accept such an offer.

Don't take this the wrong way, CNY, because I expect your heart is in the right place. It's just always a bit creepy to me when an adult plans/insists on becomin' a leader. Sends up all kinds of red flags that I'd be worried about if I didn't know the person really well. Usually I advise units to "go slow and careful" with such folks. Might be a good leader candidate just bein' forward. Might be a pushy, helicopter-type parent who is goin' to cause conflict. Might be someone really bad, who wants access to other people's kids.

What uniform yeh wear is really a distant second to how yeh approach offerin' your services (though perhaps related?). I'd also ask yourself whether "blending in with the other leaders" is goin' to be perceived as bein' honest, eh? You'd be representing yourself to other parents as a pack leader, when you aren't yet. That, too, can be a "red flag."

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

CNY

There are no rules except you can not wear a tan shirt with blue loops since you are not a cub leader. If you want to wear your venturing uniform that will make you definitely stand out and you have to ask yourself, why do I want to do that, to promote myself or promote venturing or look at me I wear a different uniform. Some may take it as you are trying to show you are better than the other leaders. At a cub function the attention should be on the boys not the adults, it is not your program it is his and he and the other cubs should be the ones who are the focus of attention.

"But I also think that wearing the Green Venturing uniform will make me standout more than wearing the Tan Scout uniform with no number and will allow me to blend in with the other leaders. "

You aren't a leader in the pack so you should not try to blend in with the other leaders by wearing the tan uniform and blue loops. That is misleading to the other boys and parents and probably also other leaders in the pack. Somebody might assume that you are a leader in the pack.

As for the Venturing leader uniform...how do you want to be seen at the meetings? As a Venturing leader who is at the pack meeting or as the parent of a child in the pack?

If you are a Tiger Cub parent, then wear the Tiger Cub shirt, as that is the proper uniform for a Tiger Cub parent. If you are a parent of any other level Cub, wear your "parent" uniform.

It is important to remember WHY you are there.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Two years ago, I wore my Sea Scout whites to the Pack Meeting. I was the Cubmaster, at the time, and I had quick stitched a Cubmaster patch to the sleeve. The monthly theme was Cub Scout Shipbuilders (I actually worked in a shipyard until the week before the meeting), but I used the uniform to really deliver a nautical theme to the meeting. We had probably 15 Bobcats at the meeting, and I had brought in a large board (plank) and a PFD for each new Bobcat. I talked about how the PFD is what we put on, not only to keep us safe, but also to prepare for the beginning of our Cub Scout years. Once prepared, each Cub walked the plank, and jumped off into their scouting future! The parents went nuts over it, and I believe it was one of the best meetings we ever had. I sure did get alot of questions from cubs scout and parents (including active and retired Navy personnel).

I agree with Eagle92. If you prepared to be recruited, wear your Venturing uniform and bring a pen. But like Beavah suggests, don't push the issue. Let them come to you and ask.

Don't wear a "blank" uniform--to me that is asking for trouble.

Sorry if I came off as I was trying to push my way into a Pack Leadership position but I have already talked with the CM over the phone and discussed this with him, just haven't figured out what position yet.

This Pack, as with most Packs around here, are hurting when it comes to people willing to step up and take a role with the Pack.

Anyone willing to become a Pack Leader is pretty much a done deal.

I ended up looking a 4 other packs before joining this one.

All I had to say was that I was willing to take on a Leadership role and I was in.

Between these 4 Packs I have been offered the job of Tiger Den Leader, CC, Pack trainer, and numerious activity chairs.

I have one Pack still trying to convince me to join their pack even after telling them that I was busy on their meeting nights.(Pack meeting is opposite District meeting and Leaders Meeting is opposite Roundtable). They were even willing to switch the Leaders meeting if I joined the pack.

If I wanted to, I know of 2 other packs that had their CM quit right before the start of the year and would love for me to become CM for their Pack.

So - This is about you, and the fact that every Pack in the area wants you?

You are not registered with this Pack YET. You are not a Pack leader YET.

Right now you are simply a Tiger Partner, and a Pack meeting is to show off your SON's accomplishments, not yours. Why not simply sit back, at this one meeting, be a parent, and enjoy, and support, your son's excitement when he receives his recognitions?