Advice Needed on Merging Packs

Our packs fall round-up has been disastrous this year, we tried everything we could, but have ended up with maybe one new boy. Its pretty discouraging when one boy shows up at the round-up, after spending an awful lot of time and money on promoting it.

Basically, we dont have enough families this year to continue as an independent pack.

We are thinking of negotiating a merger with the nearby much larger pack. There is another pack in our area that was formed by the merger of two small packs, maintaining two charters, but both units having the same leadership. The boys are split between the two charters. Has anybody else tried this? Any advice on how to make it work? Any examples of by-laws for such an organization?

What's the purpose of keeping one pack alive on paper only? Is it so the boys can finish up with the same number on their sleeve?

I can just see too many messes happening with trying to run two packs as one, one being twice as much paperwork. Of course the DE would love it because he wouldn't lose a unit.

FWIW, if I was involved, I'd vote to fold the one unit and just join the other pack as a ready formed den(s).

Everything would have to be done twice. 2 advancement forms, 2 sets of financial books, 2 rosters, 2 popcorn orders, 2 recharters, etc. How would you decide which "Pack" a boy would join? Do you have different dens for the different Packs? How do den and Pack dues get to the correct unit? How does the equipment get split between units/COs?

You state that you do not have enough families to continue so you want to pursue this "merger" (separate but together) with a much bigger Pack. Sorry, but if I was in the leadership of large Pack, my thought would be that for 5 boys or less, the headache of 1 set of leaders keeping 2 complete set of books would be just way to much trouble.

Let the boys transfer to the Pack of their choice and be done with it.

I have to agree with what they are saying about having two sets of paperwork. I have heard that the DE's always want more units. I personally look for more quality units. Better programming and better leadership.

If you already have the two packs meeting together, you may want to consider having them combine into one pack. If you are going to keep them as two seperate packs, you may want them to meet as such.

IMO, I think that if you are going to go through and join the pack, then you may have a better leadership base and the leaders may have more time to do the thing that they need to.

I hope my rambling makes sense.

The $64,000 question is why?

Then there is a big long list of reasons why it isn't going to work.

Paper units do in the long run seem to have a way of coming back and biting us in the tail area.

All units do go through "Peaks and Valleys".

I have seen the biggest and best units go through some very rough times, while the unit that seemed to be going no place and has been on the brink of giving up has with the right mix of adults came back to be the rising star.

Then there is the question about who is doing this negotiating?

Unit Leaders can choose not to serve a unit and can offer their services to another CO.

They don't own the unit.

At the end of the day the unit will close if there are not enough youth and or adults to recharter or when the CO wants to call it a day.

If the CO decides it wants to continue, the adults who are there can make a choice to stay and do everything that can be done to build the unit or they are free to leave and maybe be selected by another CO.

Eamonn.

I've used the two numbers, one set of adults to be the first year of splitting off a Pack. I see no reason whatsoever to maintain two units as you're merging two Packs.

I've also been the CC of the "merged into" troop of a 2-troop merger.

First, and perhaps most important, contact the gaining and losing Chartered Partners. Especially the losing Partner. Remember, it owns the equipment, and depending on your State's Non-profit laws, may well own the funds. It has to approve relase of the stuff. It can always tell Council "We wish to re-start at a future date, and hold the equipment and the money in trust for that re-start."

Next, contact your DC/UCs and the DE. He's not going to be happy about losing a unit, but he'll be unhappier about losing youth.

Next, the two CCs and the two CMs get together. Determine who will do what in transition, and what leaders will move over in what capacities.

Next, start decide when this will take effect. If recharter is in the very near future, do the paperwork in conjunction with recharter. If it's a long time off, get out the apps and the pens, and get it done.

Finally, if there is any titled property (vehicles, trailers), make sure title transfers as well...

If there are any private "parent associations", Heaven help you. They were the bane of my existence in my Troop merger.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)