Reward good behavior

One is correct in noting: "Expected behavior should not be rewarded. And no it won't kill anyone's program. if it does, there is more wrong than boys not behaving properly." However, as I stated in my earlier post, the reward was for leading in expected behavior, not just doing what is expected. So often we notice the improper behavior and never work at finding that which is good. From the subject of the thread, I was only pointing out that many times doing what is right may in fact be reward-worthy, especially if one is doing it to lead others into a more productive and positive role in the den. Sometimes the reward might simply be, "Thank you, I appreciate your efforts." I wasn't suggesting: "Here's $10 for doing what is expected of you." If the group is squirrelly and someone is getting recognition for something, the boys are going to figure that out and jump on the bandwagon. If that something is good, great if not, then the DL's in trouble. I would be very quick to point out the good (no matter how insignificant it might be) and build on that.

Stosh

• 2 weeks later...

ScoutNut, Thank you for the bead jar idea. I'm happy to report it went over great. I had a small glass jar. The group was starting to get loud and weren't getting back to their seats. The jar was picked up and shook. One parent said beads are going to come out and they all quieted down and got in their seats. I think it also made a strong impression on Please and Thank You too. I asked the DL if she heard any Thank You's as snacks were passed out. The whole group said Thank You right away. I told them they only got one bead because they had to be reminded. If they had each said Thank You as they got the snack they would have got 14 in the jar.

• 1 month later...