Qualified vs. Quality

Our current CM is by far qualified for the position but doesn't seem to do a good job. We had a really motivated CM for a while but due to a sudden job transfer our current CM stepped in, and it is apparent that he doesn't really like the job. No one else in our Pack has been a CM or ACM before so he doesn't have a suitable replacement.

Are we better off with some one who might not know as much or have as much experience with scouting but is motivated? I realize that anyone can be "trained" for the position but does a Quality leader beat a Qualified leader?

Personally I would love to have the position but I wouldn't trade working with the boys one on one for it.

I was a Tiger Dad in the Pack just 14 months ago. I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout (one year), but no other qualifications. As many others, I did the quick climb up the leadership ladder to become Cubmaster last month. I would choose a motivated Cubmaster over one who has the background but not the enthusiasm. With help of others, especially this forum, a new Cubmaster can gain LOTS of experience in a quick fashion. A non-enthusiastic CM could cause the Pack to deteriorate, unless everyone else shares the load.

Our CM does more than share the load, he has 2 ASM's and countless other people who help with everything. Don't get me wrong he is not a bad guy, he is a local elementary principal, and on the local soccer committee, he just has too much and really didn't want another big commitment.

However, he earned the nickname "paper cubmaster", he loves his name on every piece of paper saying he is helping with this or doing this, leading that, etc. but never really does anything and half the time doesn't even show up. He also has the attitude of the CM trump card, that no matter if there are deadlines or no-exceptions, that he can get in or get his kids in because he is the CM. The deadline for our Resident Camp was June 30, and he still hasn't registered his boy, I asked him if he was coming and reminded of the date and he said he will be there, they always let people in late (still hasn't registered).

Multiple people from my Pack and several leaders from other Packs have suggested that I take over, I just don't feel that I have the experience. I was never a scout, my son just started scouts in Feb. and I just took over as the Webelos leader, I don't fully know everything that is going on or how things work but I am motivated and can manage well. I really don't want to give up working with the boys in my den but I want the best for the Pack (help the Pack grow). Any body want to share some outside suggestions?

(our whole pack is runs on the why do today what you can do tomorrow and some one else will handle that policy. I like the what is today but yesterday's tomorrow and if I don't do it who else will philosophy)

The CC and the COR remove the CM and find the replacement. a CM who is not enthused by the program infects everyone. This lack of motivation has a way of filtering down and soon everyone's attitude suffers. We have a whole Bear den trnasfering from another pack due to lack of motivation from their CM and lack of parental involvement. That whole pack is in lots of trouble. The CM resigned so did half the committee.

Anyone can get trained!! My son is now a Bear and I'm CM now. I try to get the pack involved in as much as we can and the CC and I are working on more parental involvement. I have been noticing what families are participating and we are going to approach a few with some little jobs to see how they work and get them into a Committee Position.Getting and training repalcements is on going. You always have to be looking towards the future for replacements.

"Multiple people from my Pack and several leaders from other Packs have suggested that I take over."

Determining who holds leadership positions in a Pack is not up to misc people in the Pack, and especially not people outside of the Pack.

Where is your Charter Organization (CO) in all of this? The CO owns the unit and is responsible for providing leadership. What is the view of the Charter Org Rep (COR) and the Committee Chair (CC). If these 3 (CO, COR, CC) are fine with the job the current CM is doing then there is nothing that you can do except concentrate on giving your den a good program.

Also, the only "qualification" needed to be a leader is the desire to serve the unit and provide the boys a great BSA program. A willingness to get trained helps too.

A brand new to Scouting adult is just as "qualified" as an Eagle Scout.

I get a feeling this is another "paper" charter organization. I may be wrong though.

As for qualifications, I think a CM should preferably have one year of Scouting under their belt so that they kinda have the lay of it, but it's not necessary. Definitely enthusiasm over background. It takes alot of energy to complete the job well. The Committee Chair has all the overhead to handle, the CM is mostly there to HELP plan and to keep things motivated. Something else, your pack needs to get succession working if it is going to get out of that rut. There should be an ACM that can take over that not only wants the job, but is enthused by it. It may even be a system such as ACM for one year, CM for the next. I've heard of alot of Packs (ok COs, but lets face reallity, a good number of COs don't care or don't want to know. I wish it was different) that just let a CM carry the position for years, even long ofter their son moved up, and once the CM decided it was enough and finally left, the Pack took a nosedive. Our own Pack has established a 2+2 program for CM & CC. About 1-2 years as assistant, learning the ropes and helping out, and then 2 years as a CM or CC (usually their son's Webelos years).

Although our CM is not the most modivated in the world he is very practical, if he know that some one else was willing and able to take control then he would step down and let them take over, with the approval of everyone involved.

I am not trying to take over some one's job. My son is a Webelos 1 and I will be his DL until he crosses over into boy scouts. The point I was trying to make by saying that other people felt said I should be the CM was that people notice the job he does. Like I said before I wouldn't take the CM job right now, I would rather be a DL.

I don't know a whole lot about our CO, our previous (long running) CM held the job through 2 of his boys (6-7) years. He did everything and always had all his ducks in a row and never needed anyone to do anything he just did it all (which is not the way to be either). He is a deacon in our CO (church), but the new CM doesn't attend it and neither do many of the leaders so we will all have to work on establishing a relationship with them.

Not to your situation but to your question - I think a quality leader can become qualified, a qualified leader may simply have the certifications and not ever BE a leader but a quality leader will lead and will go get the training he needs.

As to the situation, if the pack is still running, and you don't want the job; then don't go after it. Do a good job where you are and perhaps offer to assist the CM.

If you are planning on staying with the Pack when your son crosses over then you may want to investigate getting the training so you can move up into the CM position later.

Experience enters into the equation but don't let that stop you if you are committed to the program, the boys, and to doing a good job.

My two cents....