Candles for rank cemony - Question

Hi Everyone,

Last year when we had our rank ceremony, our cubmaster came in with thin candles stuck into a 2x4 holder just to get by. So this year I want to build a nice candle holder with logs. I remember seeing a nice one at our baloo training and my first course of wood badge last weekend.

They had one big horizontal log and then had smaller ones on the top that held the candles. They also had the scout den pictures on each candle.

My question is I cannot remember how many candles it needs. And also which den pictures (Tiger, Wolf, etc.) are used on this? And last, the colors? I want to make a nice one for my pack.

So if anyone can help me with what I need to include for it, that would be great!

Thanks

Warren

My guess would be that it depends on the kind of ceremony you are doing.

To make a generic one that would be useful for all kinds of things I would do 6 candles. The pictures would be the rank badges for Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, and AOL. You can purchase sheets with these xtra large peel and stick badges from your Scout Shop. Stick them to a cardboard backing and attach each one to a candle holder.

The candle colors themselves can vary from ceremony to ceremony depending on what your are doing.

I've seen really impressive candle use in Cub Scout ceremonies.Utilize the older Webeloes in the ceremony. Bare Bones::

Turn the lights off....

One boy reads the Cub Scout promise slowly, LOUDLY, as three candles (blue?) are lit by the (white?)"Scout Spirit" candle:

1)I promise to do my best

2) to do my duty to God and my Country

3) And to obey the Law of the Pack.

Then four candles are lit (red?), again by the "Scout Spirit" candle,

as a Cub reads, slowly , LOUDLY, the Law of the Pack:

1)A Cub Scout follows Akela

2) A Cub Scout makes the Pack go

3) The Pack helps the Cub Scout grow

4) The Cub Scout gives good will.

Each time a candle is lit, a pause can occur, during which a SHORT sentence can be read by the Cub Master explaining what that part means.

And then as each Rank is presented, another candle is lit in front of, beside, behind (take your pick) a small rank poster. Speak of rank advancement.

Logs, drilled to fit candles, Don't use real tall tapers, they lean and fall over and look insubstantial. Cut the candles about 8" tall at most. Make sure the wicks are UP and READY to light before things start.

Three candles.... five candles.... four candles...

One long candalabra or three seperate ones.

Let'em burn thru the cermony. (turn the lights up)

Good Scouting to you