We fell apart- can you help us?

Wow...you do have a challenge ahead! I think once you surmount it you will be both proud of what you have accomplished and have enough knowledge to be beneficial to all kinds of Scouting functions in your area. For now take it one step at a time and get those parents involved! Your not a babysitter. They should be active in their boy's den. Push....nudge...hit em over the head :) Say "Hey...next week we're learing about first aid. Aren't you a Nurse? Could you look at that section and plan a meeting around it?" Once you get them involved many will be happy to step up to leadership.

ok- I needed that- thanks so much for letting me know there are successes out there even at this low juncture- I was starting to hit the panick button (sure wish there was that EASY Button!!) we have B&G in a little over a week (no one has worked on the plans yet) and I'll let you know how we're doing. thanks a bunch...

With an unplanned B&G coming up in a week, forget the fancy themes and stick to an old fashioned Birthday Party!

Does the Pack have any money to spend on decorations and food?

You can always make it a pot-luck and assign every family a dish. Or go with simple hot dogs, chips, slaw and a big birthday cake for dessert.

Decorate with blue and yellow balloons and streamers.

Give the boys their awards in $1 store treat bags (along with a party favor also from the $1 store).

If you have the capability, show some of those scouting videos from YouTube on the 100 year worldwide celebration.

Throw in a relay race of some kind and a few audience participation things and there you have it!

If you have any boys who are receiving rank do a face painting or color changing ceremony. These are quick and easy.

Good Luck!

Ccrumpton,

From my perspective, youre in pretty good shape. Just take it easy. Youve got a Chartered Org. Rep. who is willing to get involved, and some parents who are willing to get involved. Just cause youve got 8 boys doesnt mean you will be able to get 8 leaders, but hopefully youll be able to get a couple.

For our B&G last year, we reserved a back room at a local pizza joint. I decorated it with some stuff celebrating the 75th anniversary of Scouting (OK, a little late, but its what I found in storage). Just try to have some kind of an award for each boy so nobody feels left out.

Is there another pack taking advantage of the weakened condition by trying to recruit boys away? If not, you should be able to build up again.

Get to know your District Exec. really well, he can help you with lots of things including a spring recruiting drive.

Concerning achievements, the parents and den leaders (if any) should be recording them in the boys books. Just use the books and dont worry about a fancy system for tracking achievements.

I wish my pack were as well off as yours.

Good advice here. In terms of recruiting, though, a lot of folks have found it best to do this in the fall when school is starting and everybody is picking up the pieces from summer. Spring, at least for the packs/troops with which I've been associated, is usually the season for crossovers, Pinewood Derbies, and B&Gs. With all that going on, I can't imagine trying to put together a recruiting drive too - although I could see the value in putting out a flyer inviting the kids to, say, the Pinewood Derby (especially if you need to beef up the attendance numbers - a PW for eight is going to be kinda small). But to do a concerted recruiting drive - IMO, keeping cubs over the summer is hard enough without trying to involve new cubs and new parents.

Just a thought,

Vicki

believe it or not, 2 of those 8 are new as of January- parents are friends of another scout- I think this is how we'll go for now- just word of mouth until I can get B&G behind me. Our pack campout overnighter is at Disney's Fort wilderness and maybe we could use that as a pitch to new recruits (it's really a nice place to camp!)

I think this is probably a good time to do recruiting. Last year I started talking with Kindergarten families in March to recruit as Tigers for the following year, but discovered I was already too late, that some had already been recruited by the rival pack.

Now is the time to recruit enough families that you will be able to keep the pack alive over the summer. When our previous CM didn't keep the pack active during the summer, more than half the pack dropped out, and the other pack trounced us in recruiting in the fall.

The tough thing is whether to concentrate on program, or on recruiting. Both are essential, but if you spend too much time on program, you have less time to spend on recruiting, and vice-versa. If the program suffers, retention becomes a problem, but if recruiting is successful; you might pick up some willing adults who can share the work.

Camping at Fort Wilderness? Woohoo, I'll join too. LOL

Good luck with the recruiting. You're right, FW might be a nice place to invite new scouts to.

As far as B&G goes - if you don't have the resources to put together a potluck supper how about a potluck dessert buffet or ice cream social? Those don't take quite as much planning and $$, especially for a smaller group.

YiS

Michelle

Buffet is what we're doing this year for precisly those reasons. The Committee decided that we we're tired of spending 2 hours cleaning up and putting away while everyone else went home to spend time with "their" sons and complain about the food selection ;) So now we have buffet. Food for everyone's liking and no cleanup. The only challange was finding a buffet that could accomodate 430+- people!