Crossing That Bridge When We Come To It....

Well, it's almost time - we are crossing the bridge on December 17th! I say "we" because hubby and I will both take on some sort of role in the troop, I'm sure - I just don't know the best role for us. We've had a very successful Cub Scout den (most since they were Tigers) and I have no doubts they will all do well in Boy Scouts. My son is SO ready!

But is it bad for us (mom and dad) to want to take a little break? We working on our 5th year as den leaders, and even though we have worked really hard to introduce the boy-led concept to our Webelos and have given them increasing responsibility in our den, being a den leader has been total immersion! We're kind of ready to come up for a breath of fresh air.

My husband and I are both well-trained (both Wood Badge - Beaver and Bobwhite - plus I just completed SMF as part of my ticket). Like you all, "We love this Scouting stuff!"

What suggestions do you have for us in the Troop? We'd definitely like to step back from our own son and give him some independence. I can see myself on the Committee, I guess. Husband has been asked twice lately to take a role on the District. We have both found merit badges we could counsel. Does that sound about right for leaders who move from Cubs into Boy Scouts?

clyde

• 3 weeks later...

Boy does your story sound familiar. We plan on crossing in Dec 2008. In our case, it really depends on which Troop our boys select. The Troop in town is large and has several established leaders. Our CO's Troop is small and we'll be expected to play a significant role.

To be honest, we've been so involved in Cub Scouts, I can't really see us stepping back when Boy Scouts come along. We both enjoy it along with our son. Its a real family affair.

Thats the way I look at it. I want to go on the trips and outings just as much as our son does. I'm sure we'll be knee deep in what ever Troop we decide.

Jeff

Please be careful when you join the troop. It is different from the cubs. My best advice is to sit back for about a year to learn the ropes. It can cause major problems when cub parent jump straight into a troop without seeing how things go. Our troop had some problems with new parents in the troop still trying to do all advancement at home, not understanding the Boy Scout method. Be patient and soon the leadership will be finding a place for you.

FK

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays All

>>I can see myself on the Committee, I guess. Husband has been asked twice lately to take a role on the District. We have both found merit badges we could counsel. Does that sound about right for leaders who move from Cubs into Boy Scouts?

What Barry said.

You have a lifetime to serve youth and Scouting. You have about 8 more years to enjoy seeing your son become a great young man.

I'll serve Scouting all my days, but some of my best moments were watching his roots take and his wings unfold.

As a scoutmaster, my worst new parents are the ones who want to make things easier for their sons. For example, I have one new dad that keeps pushing the troop to buy E-Z Up style instant shelters for the patrols. I keep telling him that I don't like them - the are too easy to put up and they don't hold up in a strong wind. The dining flys we use now are a challenge for the new boys to put up, but that's a good thing - the boys learn teamwork and the two tenderfoot knots. Some new parents don't realize that if you make things too easy for the boys, they aren't challenged and don't learn anything! They also measure success by how quickly the boys can set up camp or how good the food is they cook and not by what they are learning in the process.

The best new parents are the one's who say, "what can I do to help?" and "I'm hear to learn how things are done". The new parents with that attitude and also a strong scouting background (was a boy scout as a youth, has had some training), I recruit to be Assistant Scoutmasters right away. I see no reason for someone like that to step back or take a break.

So, whether or not you continue your service to scouting as a troop adult leader will depend a lot on your attitude, background, training, and how well you fit in with the current leadership. There is also the issue of giving your son some space to grow. But, if you keep in mind your not there to make things easier for him, then you being an adult leader at the same time should not be a problem.

Congrats to your son for his achievements thus far, and thanks to you for your volunteer efforts!

I'd second what Eagledad said - it takes a little bit of time to adjust from cub scouts to boy scouts, both for your son and for most adults/parents. Not only are things done differently in terms of organization, but you will likely find that you and your son need to re-negotiate the way you interact in scouting, as he finds his own feet. That's a good thing of course. I've noticed that for most people it is easier (on both boy and parent) to do this when the parent takes a bit more hands-off role with the troop for a while. Otherwise the temptation is for many parents to do things "for" their kid, and for the kid to expect the parent to do just that.

So yes, absolutely sign up to counsel a couple of Merit Badges (boy, it would be great if you agreed to counsel for any boy in the district/council and not just for your son's troop...). Go to Merit Badge Counselor training if it is offered in your area. And take some time to get a good feel for how the troop works, what their personalities are like, and where your particular talents might be useful, and above all else, give your son an opening to grow into his new role - like you said, he's SO ready. If nothing else, taking a small step back might give you some space to re-charge your scouting batteries too! In a few months you'll probably be in a better position to determine the best way that you can be involved in the troop, once you know them better, they know you better, and your son is on his way.

If I was still serving at the District level, I'd have my beady little eye on you both!!

Be very careful!!

Every District has someone like me!!

Every District has openings for people like you and your Hubby.

People like me do not take no for an answer!!

Be afraid, be really afraid!!

Take time to think about what you really enjoy doing.

Don't feel you have to join the Troop, just because Junior is joining!!

Think about how much time you have and how much you are willing to commit.

Practice saying "NO!!"

The list of things you could do is almost endless.

Some roles take a lot of time and involve a lot of time spent at meetings.

Some might be just something that needs done once a year for a few weeks. (I'm thinking of maybe School Sign-up coordinator)

If you like working with adults? Maybe joining the District Training team?

Having a word with the Troop Committee Chair is the best way to find out what the needs of the Troop Committee are.

Ea.

Or, continue working with the cubs for a year - let your boy learn to be a boy scout without you while you learn about boy scouting as a parent. Then maybe take on the Webelos to Scout transition, working with the troop to make contact with your old pack and other packs.

Part of being a Scout parent is being able to sit back and let your son do his thing without your help or influence.

You are probably in the norm if you want to take a less active roll. I'd say go for it, just remember that most boys that have a successful run in Scouting have involved parents. Hopefully your son will stay active with the troop for a number of years, just take your time and find the best position fit for yourselves and have fun.