stingy leaders

no - im not talking about those who wont share their latest gadget with ya - but you ever start seeing a leader that starts to customize towards what they or their scout needs/wants to accomplish?

maybe their boy completed their rank early so they spend den meetings doing ONLY electives when the other 10 boys still have a long way to go.... or their webelos scout is about to earn AOL in a couple months - so those 5th graders who are webelos and just joined scouting arent given as much attention....

in the past week or so ive heard that the wolf den should visit the fire station on their own -afterall, "we arent tigers and dont HAVE to have go-see-its" (how many scouts complain about a trip to the fire department? they also told about how they went to a fire department and it was a short visit so it shouldnt be a big deal for other parents to do.

another one complained about the 'extra' work that would be needed for a few new (and excited) scouts to get their AOL by crossover. and is more worried about the aol award that is going to be made than actually ensuring the boys (that are not her son) get there.

sorry for the rant but geez - this is for the kids - i will gladly take extra trips or help out a scout who is EXCITED and AMBITIOUS to earn something. many kids are more interested in video games than doing something in the real world.

for the sake of discussion :) i understand running it or doing it your way. and i am a big advocate for that method.

i know as a den leader i would also at least try to help ALL of the scouts in the den - not just my own.

The title is "DEN" leader not my "SONS" leader. Dad & Lad, Mom & Me are themes for outings not programs. If the Webelos II den leader does not have a plan of action designed to enable the NEW 5th Grade Webelos Scout to earn Bob Cat, Webelos Badge and AOL before crossover then that Webelos Den leader is not doing his/her job. Yes achieving AOL between September and March is tough but it is totally doable with a plan, some parental or other adult help, and a commitment by the Webelos Scout.

LH

A hidden question here is, "Who's responsible for the rank advancement?"

In its ideal form, Cub Scouting is about the boys working on the rank requirements AT HOME, and just coming together at the den and pack events for fellowship and fun. Now, you and I both know that every pack has a few parents who cannot be bothered to lift one finger to help their boys. That's how den meetings have come to include rank work.

Looking at the Wolf example you provided, the den leader has 2 choices.

1) Go back and repeat required work that some of the boys have already done.

2) Move forward and do optional work that all the boys will find interesting.

I vote for #2, and expect the Cubs' parents to step up and do the required work at home. Why should the "go-getters" have to sit through a second round of something?

As for the 5th grade new Webelos, put yourself in the den leader's shoes. She's been doing this for years, she can see the light at the end of the tunnel, she's thinking about the ceremonial arrows. she's getting ready to burn her leader uniform...

And now she's asked to tear up her 20-month plan of Webelos meetings, and instead re-focus (and repeat) the den meetings so the new boys can earn Bobcat AND Webelos AND Arrow of Light, all in a few short months. It's fairer for the whole group that the new kids join in and do the same thing the old boys were going to do. If those new kids really want those badges, let their parents pitch in and help their boys earn them. Don't expect the den leader to have to change everything.

thanks for the view greg...

in my wolf situation - the scout completed the rank the week after our first pack meeting of this year. its all easy and very possible and i am in no way challenging that. so not many other scouts have really had a chance to complete a lot. our pack didnt start up this year until the first week of october for some reason.

i agree that it would be boring to repeat a lot- and maybe because i do scout stuff with my son (because he begs me to do it) i think other parents are the same way. i just figured this is too early in the year for this sort of thing.

as for the webelos - i got another leader to take care of the boys who are just starting out. so she really has no extra work to do. heck - we even have a science museum that teaches some of the activity badges for scouts. the parents are willing to work with their kids. i am just bothered by the complaining about how much work the scouts have to do (why she complains about the work of others i dont know). i would tell them its a lot of work - but also encourage them to do it and not discourage them.

I've been teaching Webelos Leader Specifics for about 6 years. I stress the importance of the written 20 month program. I encourage the den leader to focus on the four required activity pins and ask the boys which others they want to work on to fill out the required 7 total. After PLANNING, not covering, the 7, I tell the WDL to utilize their resources in troops and parents to decide which other activity pins to schedule. Planning on attempting all 20 activity pins is NOT recommended. Again the Webelos Program is intended to take the scout from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. As they progress in the Webelos Program the focus should change from achieving the pin to learning and mastering a skill. In the first part of Webelos I they will work on the Fitness pin. After earning this pin they would not be expected to be able to earn Fitness Merit Badge. In the Webelos II program they will work on Readyman. After earning Readyman the boy should be able to pass the first aid requirements for Tenderfoot,and Second Class. He should have learned those skills not just watched someone do them and tried to do it himself. This takes time several months maybe but the skill is more important than the pin because the skill moves forward with the boy and is honed as he advances. There is also the need for the WDL or AWDL to be "testing" or "reviewing" the boys on each and every requirement that a parent has initialed. Family member, Traveler, Fitness are done mostly with family members but the WDL or AWDL must be the ones that sign off which means there is a need at each den meeting to do individual advancement with each boy. Doing a pin a month with all the other duties is not realistic if there is to be skill acquisition.

As for 5th grade boys that begin the Webelos program in September, I teach that it can not be the WDLs responsibility to work with these boys in an attempt to earn AOL. It is the WDLs responsibility to have a workable plan that allows these boys to earn AOL. That plan is going to involve a parent or other adult to act as a coach and a commitment from the scout to stick to the plan for 6 months. It is doable, I have done it. The Webelos Leader Handbook has a plan written out that will work. For the WDL to be less than encouraging to a 10 year old that is willing to take on this task is shameful.

LH(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

• 2 months later...

Being a Webelos leader now, I try to run the den the best way possible. At the beginning of the year we had 11 Web I's and added 5 Web II's.

The Webelos II's said they wanted to make AOL before they went onto Boy Scouts. OK what do I do? First, I had a meeting with the Web II's to discuss the rank advancements and what lies ahead. I instilled to them, that they would have to work together as a team (patrol) to help each other get AOL.

I split the den into two patrols, Web I's and WebII's each patrol works at their own pace. They decide which activity badges they want to work on. They work together on some badges and separate on others. Every den meeting is not about an activity badge while they do have some "tie ins" to the activity badges. If a boy falls behind in advancement, the patrol address's it, under my watchful eye. I usually have a behind the scenes chat with the parent and scout.

The Webelos II's obviously are progressing at a faster pace, because they have less time. The Webelos I's benefit from having older boys around and see some of the activity badge info in advance. Really kinda cool.

Its February and this is how the den looks. The Web II's have worked hard, they have the Webelos badge (december) and only like the Readyman and 3 other activity badges. They should make it by late march early april. (I personally don't like the late time frame for crossover, but with first year Web II's who want AOL, I've had to accept it. My biggest problem is the lack of TROOP time before summer camp. It really worries me.)

Now for the Web I's. They are ahead of schedule. I'm trying to slow them down some, by taking more time on each activity badge.

Enough about our Den. If you have suggestions / concerns about how the den is being run. Become more involved. You can become sort of an Activity Badge counselor, take some of the boys aside and help them. If you have boys falling behind, help them.

Any Leader worth their salt, would never turn down good help.

Just remember, they boys need to earn the ranks. In Webelos, the parents do not sign off advancements. The boy has to bring his book to the WDL for sign offs. The boy can do the advancement, but if he doesn't bring the book to the WDL for review. It shouldn't be signed off on.

If you don't start this process as Webelos, you'll be in for a shock when you get to Boy Scouts.

Just some of my humble opinions.

Jeff