Sticky situation with uncontrolable kid

As I have ADHD (memory problems, Dyslexia), among 50 or so other problems ... as a result it seems I could add more perspective to many of the questions out there. We do think and learn in different ways. At one time I did use my problems as crouch as an excuse... then 10th grade i said no more it took me another 5 years yes I said five years after deciding no more to learn how to control myself without meds, different styles of learning, remembering things, tactics and i guess even a few tricks ... I have even work with a handful of kids in the past teaching them a lot of what I had to learn myself.... If anyone wants to know what it is like to live (as a youth or adult) with adha, or about the methods I have learned to control myself, remember things, etc... please feel free to talk to me to ask me ... remember the only stupid question is the one not asked....

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

As a parent of ADHD son, we left the school troop and moved to a smaller troop at our church. The reasoning the smaller group moved faster and as such less hardship. I have seen my son who is on 54mg of concerta daily grow from being asked to leave summer camp as a wolf to activley working with the webelos 1 leader now. I know it''s not easy, but moving his meeting to another area of your building were he is not over stimulated should work on the Pack meetings side, I use rewards, and loss of game time for his actions.

Good luck

YIS

Doug

If the Mom is willing to step down, and someone else is willing to step up, as Den Leader, that would be the best thing. Then she would be able to remove her son whenever he became disruptive, without interupting the meeting.

I knew it was not the best idea for me to be Den Leader for my younger son, who has ADHD, but nobody else would do it. Each year I tried to get someone else to do it, but all the parents decided it was more important to keep me as Den Leader than to have me free to deal with my disruptive child. It still amazes me that all those kids stayed in my den all those years!

I usually had to delay punishment for my son, since I couldn''t leave the meeting, but all the parents knew I would follow through at home. When my husband was not traveling for work, I had him keep our son home, or I would call hubby to come get our son. My son was willing to do the missed activities at home with me at a later date, so he still advanced at the same rate as his den-mates.

Even if the child in your situation were on meds, they wouldn''t still be in effect in the evening. I switched to Sunday afternoon den meetings, which worked better for my schedule, but also allowed my son to participate while his meds were still in his system.