Service Star Pins

When are service star pins awarded? The pack I belong to wants to award them at the first pack meeting this year (September). Recharter is in December.

Webelos scouts who joined in September 06 .... Should receive a 1 year service star pin or since this is his second year he should receive 2 year service star pin?

Thanks for the help! I can't seem to find an answer on the WWW.

Service stars denote individual tenure in the BSA. If a scout joins in January, then he should receive a star in January every year thereafter until he crosses over. Unit recharter date has nothing to do with it.

Service Pins denote how many years of Scouting you have COMPLETED.

For that reason we give our Service Pins out at the last Pack meeting of the school year, along with all of the graduation stuff.

The first Pack meeting of the school year (Sept) would work too. Your Webelos who joined in Sept 2006, would receive a 1 year pin because he has completed 1 year in BSA. If he is currently a 5th grade Webelos, his 2 year pin will be presented by his Troop at the end of this year or beginning of next year (depending on their traditions).

Thank you ... That is very helpfull

So... He would receive 2 service star after he has joined his troop because he recharters in December with the pack and crosses over in February? Just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

When he crosses over to a troop, the clock resets, since he is now in a new program. Boy Scout service stars are green. After one year in the troop, he can wear a green "1" to go with his yellow cub scout star. (Color denotes the plastic backing which is worn with the metal star)

Also, please remember, only one star of each color is worn. When you receive your new "2", the "1" comes off. (Sorry, pet peeve. I even see Eagle candidates who don't get it right)

Since there are no stars for 1/2 years, the Troops in my area who do Service Stars (not all units, Packs, Troops, etc, do), usually give their first year scouts a 1 year pin with the Boy Scout backing even though they have only been in a Troop since Feb or March. The boy has still been registered with BSA the entire year.

Your Webelos will receive a 1 year Service Star with the Cub Scout gold backing in Sept from your Pack. If the Troop he crosses into gives out Service stars, he should receive a 1 year Star with the Boy Scout green backing whenever the Troop hands out the Stars. This is usually either at the last Court Of Honor for the year, or the first. It is entirely up to the Troop and has nothing to do with when anyone recharters.

The boy will wear both 1 year Stars (1 from Cubs & 1 from Boys). At the end of his 6th grade year (a total of 3 years in BSA), he will receive from his Troop a Service Star with a 2 on it and the green Boy Scout backing. He will then replace the #1 year with green backing with the #2 year with green backing. So, your now former Webelos, will be wearing a 1 year star with gold backing and a 2 year star with green backing.

Just a bit of added info for the adult Scouters - Adults have the option to wear stars for each level of their youth membership (orange/gold/green/brown/red) along with the star for their adult membership (blue) (ie: #2 with gold + #4 with green + #2 with red + #2 with blue - for a total of 4 stars) OR a combined total of youth and adult membership with the adult blue backing (ie: #10 with blue - a total of 1 star)

Hope this helps!

You do not "earn" a Service Star. It denotes a year of membership in the BSA. Most boys join BSA at the beginning of the school year, in Aug or Sept.

BSA leaves the details of when/how to present the stars up to the individual unit.

• 5 years later...

In the case of a leader who joined as a Cub in Sept 1978 and moved to the Troop June 1982 (3y 9m), and then was a Scout from June 1982 to Mar 1989 (18th birthday, 6y 9m), how do we handle this? Is it 3y or 4y for Cub Scouting, and is it 6y or 7y for Boy Scouting? Thanks,

Personally, I sure wouldn't get caught up in counting years and months..... especially for cubs It's not like you pay is based on tenure!

For me, I'd figure it based on school grade or "rank" for Cubs

1978-1979.... likely 2nd grade = wolf = year 1

1979-1980..... Bear= year 2

1980-1981..... WEBELOS= year 3

1981-1982..... WEBELOS = year 4

so 4 years in Cubs, assuming of course you were active the whole time.....

For scouts, I guess I would just count years based on the calendar, probably rounded by the half year ..... so 6Y 9M would be a 7 year pin...... although by the book it should probably be the 6 year pin...... If it were 6Y 1M I wouldn't feel right about wearing the 7 year pin..... but as I said, why would it really matter?