Bridging Webelos 1 to Webelos 2

We generally recognize our 4th grade Webelos during our pack graduation ceremony with camping gear of some sort. In the past they're received flashlights, mess kits (we buy lexan dishes and dunk bags now, not metal sets), duffel bags, matching jacket (that year the den had lots of money in their account). I have heard of packs giving hiking staffs with medallions - the standard ones from ScoutStuff are really affordable.

In the past, our Pack use to give out camping gear like canteens. Now they give them a white, first aid neckerchief from the scout office which the boys seem to like. They wear them instead of the Webelos neckerchief the 2nd year. It help old guys like me to tell the different between 1st and 2nd year Webelos.

We do a group graduation ceremony that includes all levels. The overall theme is usually different each year.

The Cubs all get their new scarf, a scarf slide & their new handbook (hats are an optional uniform part & expensive so purchasing those is up to the family).

For the 4th grade Webelos going into 5th grade, along with a new scarf slide (usually something arrow inspired), we give them either vittle kits (camp silverware) or camp dishes. Sometimes we have done a compass, but that is usually part of our package for the 5th grade Webelos.

Our pack is cheap, I guess - we just give out the new neckerchief, and expect the family to get the handbooks themselves.

For the 4th graders, since they don't need a new neckerchief, what we've done is give them a coin (BSA Item # 04983, $3.35) with the Scout Oath on one side and the Scout Law on the other. That ties in with their Arrow of Light requirements to have these memorized. We encourage the boys to carrry the coin around and use it to test their recall.