PWD for a small Pack?

Hi everyone! Need your brainstorming and quick. We have PWD next Saturday. We have been able to borrow a track for the rental fee of fixing something on their electronic timer.

Our new Pack is small (3 Tigers, 5 Wolves). We figured that we would run at first 1,2,3. Then 4,5,6. Then 7,8. (Random numbers based on who checks in first). We will then have the first placers race against each other, then the second placers, and then the thirds. Something along these lines. The CM and DL's and CC sat down and we all figured out in great detail of how this would go and we eventually end up with our top 3. The top three will be going to our District Race before Scout Show in April.

We also have an Open Class after the boys are done racing, for parents, friends, siblings.

Anyway, does anyone have experience racing such a small Pack and what worked for you? What advice can you pass along before our big day.

We have trophies, ribbons, and we are getting some fun awards for Den Choice, Pack Choice, Cubmaster's favorite, best Animal, most original, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

Depending on your overall situation...

*Invite the kids and parents from the local school and or churches.. Have a information table for newcomers.

*Check with neighboring Packs and see if you can borrow some "used" cars for the hordes of newcomers that visit. Then those boys can race in the "open" class (in our Pack, the OP class... Other People...)

* By all means, work up awards for everyone... Most Colorful, Best use of Decals,.. Most Historical, Most realistic, bring some blank award forms that you can fill in "as apropriate" on the site. "Every Cub's a Winner"

* Make sure the 'starter' runs a line of patter , "Start you engines!!" that sort of thing. Count down each start 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,, There they GO!!.. everyone will get into the spirit.

* Have a Winners Circle and a Photo Op place with some flags and posters behind it.

* Go to your local Auto Parts store and see if they can't scare up some Car Racing Posters and flags and such for you. Any one know a local that races pro or amateur? lots of tracks around the country help Packs that way. Nothing like a real racer in his Nomex...

** Wait til next year...

YiS MiFKiS

Why are you saving the biggest part of the festivities for the Open Race? Granted there are only 8, but why not let the Scouts in your Pack have more of a race.

If you used a Partial Perfect-N race generator, instead of only racing 2X, your boys could race 6X each. That's 3X MORE FUN! If you placed a point value (3-2-1) on 1st, 2nd & 3rd place finishes, after 16 heats you add up each boys score, & the top 3 scorers are your winners. No boy gets eliminated, boys stay involved in the race, no one is real sure who the top 3 are until the end results and the SCOUTS get to have more FUN.

Heck, even if you shortened their fun to only one round, the Scouts would still be racing 3X each instead of maybe 2X.

I realize it's fun for the families & friends too, & can be used as a great recruiting tool, but, IMO, the race should be first & foremost for the Scouts. The family members & friends will still be happy even if time constraints only allow them to race one time.

Edited to add this Web site -

http://members.aol.com/standcmr/ppngen.html

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Thanks guys!

Actually, without going into huge detail, we are racing each boy more than once. I just didn't want to bore anyone with the details! lol! We are going to use the time elimination thing at the end. This way the boys are racing against each other for several heats.

We lucked out and our CC contacted Bandimere Speedway. We have flags, decorations and great goody bags for each boy!

Thanks for your advice!

This is how we plan to do it this year. We have 8 boys in the pack, and 6 lanes on our track. We won't bother having prizes per age group with so few. We'll split the boys into equal groups, probably Wolves and Bears and then Tigers & Webelos. Each car races in each of 4 lanes to even out the fast lanes and slow lanes. The top 2 from each then go to the runoff, which will also have 4 heats, making 12 heats altogether. Then we have an open race for visitors. Cubs are asked to bring their cars from previous years for visitors to race. We are trying to promote the race as a recruiting event.

There is computer software out there just for PWD racing. I've been told you can do a search for it online, but I've never tried, because our pack already has a copy that they use. You can enter the number of racers and the number of lanes and the computer will tell you which lanes to race which cars. Each car will get the opportunity to race in each lane in order to rule out one lane being "faster" than another. The computer then will correct for any lane preferance issues and declare a winner.

There are actually several different PWD software programs available. We used one for the first time last year and it was great. We have a two lane track and raced about 36 cars. Each car raced four times. By following the software, we completed our PWD in about 40 minutes.

The kids loved it too. We had an adult bring a projector and we projected the information onto the wall, so the scouts could see who was racing, who was up next, and the times.

Everyone loved it and best of all - there were no tears. (In previous years, at least one scout has started crying or sniffling when their car was eliminated).

The idea of getting a race driver in is also a great one. I had tried contacting several people for the same idea several years ago, and just wasn't having any luck. So I made my own suit. I found some basic scout patchs, and have been adding any new PWD patches to the back ever since. The kids love it. My pack hasn't had its PWD yet, but the suit (and helmet, boots, and gloves) has already been to three.

Really - I think the scouts will enjoy whatever happens. It's really about being together and having fun.

I've put a couple of pics of the suit on the web if you're interested in seeing what I did.

www.geocities.com/tomcherv/MT2.jpg

www.geocities.com/tomcherv/pinewood1.jpg

www.geocities.com/tomcherv/pinewood2.jpg