INCREASING PACKS INVOLVMENT AT RT

I am new at being RT Comm. My district wants me to help improve packs comming to RTs. I am not sure how to do this. I have had a number of different speakers but it doesn't seem to help.

please if you have any advise please help me.

communicate communicate communicate this must be a two way street email is the quickest and easiest try to get every email addy of every leader in every pack. Ask them what they are having trouble with then set an agenda to answer their questions. For example leaders of several packs ask about making an outstanding crossover ceremony for their web 2 boys. You get the master showman cubmaster in the district who's ceremonies are renown to come in and share for 15 min and take questions afterwards. Same idea for boring pack meetings. Remember KISMIF applies to adults too just adults don't want to do crafts they may appreciate info where to get interesting crafts i.e. the rockets one national chain makes available but the doing of said crafts is a definite nono. You cannot go wrong giving the audience what they want and need. Stomp on boring and teach everyone the announcements song so they can sing it to the district commisioners when they come to make announcements.

Some things that have worked for me since I took over as Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner are;

1-Sending our reminder e-mails one week before and the day before using the e-mail addresses I've collected at Roundtable. Then, most of those recipients forward the e-mail which helps.

2-Every month we have a birthday cake and bring up the birthday guys and gals for the month and sing HB in some unusual way, last month we focused on language and culture and had a Feliz Cumpleanos cake and sang Feliz Cumpleanos.

3-In the past, the leaders were given beads and arrowheads for attendance and participation which became less popular and worn. This year, I started the perfect 10 recognition. If you make all ten roundtables, Aug.-May you will recieve a recogniton in May which I don't want to divulge and ruin since I know some of our scouters monitor this site. If you didn't sign up until Roundup, or maybe you had to miss a meeting or two that's o.k., you can still qualify for the high five award. I saw somewhere where a Council has STAR recognition. Someone That Attends Roundtable. I like that one too and might try it next year.

4-We have an attendance award (stuffed bear named Cubildo) that goes home with the unit with the most attendance. He comes back the next month with his diary of what he's been up too. One of the packs even post his adventures on their website. He has become quite the traveling man...err bear.

5-Outside presenters to talk on topics that haven't been discussed since I've been around. Or, look at the boards and see what other scouters are talking about for some discussion topics in your own roundtable.

6-Poll your participants. I asked everyone what time worked better for them. They voted on 7 and so 7 it is. And remember their time is precious some have to travel farther than others. Make it punctual and make it count and don't let it drag on.

7-Make sure they leave feeling like they caught a piece of breaking news before it got out. I just let everyone know about this years Day Camp and you could see them taking notes to bring back to their units. They walked away with something that night.

Mind you, my Roundtable is still in development and could use some help but my staff and I are trying and it's better than it had been. I do look at the guide for some references but keep in mind the scouters interest which carries a lot of weight in my consideration.

"Make it punctual and make it count and don't let it drag on."

Amen Sister! Let me second that one! Most cub leaders around here have young children at home to tend to. Some are even paying a babysitter for the "privilege" of attending RT. Respect that.

If you aren't already doing this, separate your cub and troop RT for at least the substantive part of the night (and I'd argue, for the whole night!). Can't tell you how annoying it can be to listen to a bunch of people drone on (while I'm paying a babysitter) about some upcoming event that my own cubs won't be able to attend for another 2-5-8 years! Similarly I'm sure most troop leaders don't have all that much interest anymore in planning den meetings, etc.. We saw a big jump in attendance when we broke these off into separate meetings.

Keep it hands on when possible. For ex: around here everybody does pinewood derbies, hardly anyone does regattas. We did a simplified version of a regatta (complete with building and racing) at a RT one time - big hit - adults loved doing it and when they saw how easy it could be, took it home to their packs. Speakers are nice but fast, easy, fun, hands on tips are more likely to draw people in and keep them coming back.

Publish the topic in advance. If nothing else it shows you've thought about what you are presenting and therefore are a little bit less likely to waste their time.

Beyond that - ask them why they aren't coming/what they would like to see. Every area has its own challenges and it is hard to "fix" something when you don't know what's broken about it. Get your UCs (if they exist) to help you feel out their packs on this. And once you determine a plan, stick with it for a bit because it takes a while for word of mouth to spread, esp. if RT has a bad reputation among your cub leaders right now.

YVONNE

Hey.. welcome to the forum

I agree with the advise so far. The basic problem with RT attendance is essentially that scouters need to know that there is something worth coming for. Everyone is busy and to compete with this your RT program must be top notch.

A few things that can help (some have been stated already... sorry)

1. You need to have someone on staff who is outgoing, energetic, and can communicate well. This adds energy and enthusiasm to your program. It doesn't have to be goofy or ridiculous, but Cub Scout Roundtable generally should be up-beat and full of energy.

2. I totally agree with the hands-on suggestions. In order to get people to your roundtable you need to offer something useful that the leaders can take with them. When they leave RT, they should be saying, "Wow! That was worth going to!"

3. There should be some training available. Whether that is Fast Start, informal Leader Specifics, or a combination. Make sure your "trainers" who lead these sessions are experienced leaders who know how to present these training well.

4. KISMIF. Think of roundtable as a well-crafted pack meeting, as this is how roundtable should be presented. Pack meetings are fun, energetic, fun, fast-paced, and, did I mention, FUN.

Beyond that, the suggestions for good advertisements and communication to the units are very good, but once your RT program is brought up to the quality you want, the advertising will shift to word of mouth, because of the GREAT program you will present.

Eagle Pete

Yvonne,

As so many have said, WELCOME:

1) Like Lisa said, separate your RT from the Boy Scout and Venturing RT. Common night and site, but different areas in the site.

2) KISMIF. Our current Cub RT commish has been doing a "model Pack meeting" for some time.

3) Breakouts: If you can get to the staffing point, Tigers, Wolves/Bears, Webelos, Pack staff (CM, ACM, CC, etc). DLs focus on program delivery, Pack forum focuses on the "stuff" of Cubbing.

4) Scott was spot on with "communicate communicate communicate." Does your DE have access to some form of "Every Member Contact" email? If so, use that to target a list to Cub leaders, and then HIT EVERY ONE OF THEM IN THE DISTRICT. If you get a bounced email, ask the CC of the Pack concerned to help run it to ground.

5) Don't be afraid to ask for resources from other programs. Is there a Commissioner who knows Den Chiefing forwards and back? Ask him to come.

6) Do you have the Annual RT Program Guide for this year and next yet? If not, several Councils have them posted online for easy download.

7) Are you trained as a RT Commish? If not, look into area Commissioner Colleges or PTC's RT commissioner weeks! As you can see, there are lots of "low hanging fruit good ideas" to borrow on.

8) Lastly, work with your Scout and Venturer Commissioners, as well as the District Commish. Effectively, you are now an ADC, responsible for one major component of the Charter Agreement: Providing ongoing training and support to units :)

Have fun!

In our council, RTs involve a "common session" involving Cub Scouters, Boy Scouters, Venturing Scouters and Varsity Scouters. We then break into the different program levels.

The purpose of the "common" session is to make announcements that are common to all levels (e.g., training, recharter), but what really happens is that ALL announcements are made during this time, even if specific to a single level (the Boy Scout-only announcements are the worst "offenders").

Because there are so many announcements that are of no interest to Cub Scouters (e.g., OA elections, MBUs, etc.) many Pack leaders decide to skip teh RT altogether.

I've mentioned this many times to the RT staff and my DE, to no avail. For a month or two, the announcements will be properly limited, then things slip back into the old way.

If I could offer one suggestion: please ensure your announcement time is limited (don't let people drone on forever) and appropriate to the program level.

Hi Yvonne,

My wife & I are both Cub Leaders. Neither one of us begrudges the BSA our "hour a week". But it's really annoying when doesn't make that hour productive. The faster RT can go from The Pledge of Allegiance to a useful breakout session, the better. If others want to hang around after the "business" has been dealt with, shoot the breeze, eat birthday cake, whatever, afterwards - thats fine. And there are times when I would stick around and do that, but when I can't, I can't.

OK - I'm done whining now...

Remind your packs that they can rotate who goes to RT - The CC & CM can switch off obviously, but some of the more experienced Den Leaders & Committee people should be able to represent the pack now & again. For ex - when Webelos to Scout transition is the big topic, tell your packs to send their Web Leaders.

NC

Not so fast, Keee-Mo-Sobby Novice CM!!!!!

RT is designed for ALL LEADERS. Its stated purpose is to provide training on the forthcoming PROGRAM, generally 30-45 days ahead of program execution.

Ideally, all registered program side leaders (DLs and ADLs, CM and ACMs) should attend, as should appropriate members (CC and advancement chair most urgently, various camp coordinators as day camp, family camp, Bear Camp, and Webelos Camp) kick into play each year.

You are right though: The higher the impact, both in plenary session and in breakouts, the more often leaders will attend.

YIS

Just got back from RT. We had, including the CS RT commissioner, a total of 5 Cub Scout leaders present tonight. We sstarted with the DE giving announcements to the joint group (BS/CS) and then we broke out, but there have been other RT's that we haven't had enough to have a break out and so Scout Leaders sat through the Cub presentation and vice versa.

The RTC did a good job tonight taking us through the Aloha Scouts theme and had some great suggestions for things to do with the boys. He talked about several belt loops and pins that would be appropriate for the theme as well and we discussed good local locations and resources - I've got some great notes. We also talked about the Webelos activity badges for the month.

Hands on stuff would be good, we've got PWD coming up at the Pack on 2/10 and the District is doing one at the local mall 2 weeks later (with a Scout show - should be nice to see.) I would also love to see the Glowing Bobcat in person - the description on the forums sounds really interesting.

But...how to get more packs involved? At this point I don't have anything more to add then what's already been said. As a new leader I wanted to make sure I had as much opportunity to find out what's going on and get training and tips from other experienced Scouters. RT was talked up positively in our NLT course and since I didn't have anything else competing with the third Monday evening of the month, I've committed to making as many RT's as I can. I will make a point of encouraging the other leaders and parents in our Pack to attend and do my bit towards increasing the numbers.

John

Tiger Den Leader

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area District

One, or two more things that might work.

Make a typical RT outline (this is an example only)

Opening

Invocation-Pack????

Pledge-Pack????

Business

Song/Skit-Pack ????

Breakouts

Closing-Pack????

Where the Pack ???? are, ask various packs to sign up a month in advance and bring something interesting or commonly used in their pack to fill the bill. They may have a popular flag ceremony, closing, song or skit that they would like to share and it hooks them in for attending the next month. If per say only a CM or a CC shows up and signs up for skit, then one would think they would try to recruit their other adults to attend as well to put on an awesome performance. Just a thought.

I do know that people don't like walking in the door and having a cue card shoved in their hand while being told/asked, "Wanna be a part of tonight's skit?" There is usually no costumes, no props, no rehersal, just a bunch of adults reading off of cards. How exciting, NOT! I've even noticed when that is the norm, people will intentionally show up late so they hopefully avoid the cue card assignments.

Another thing that keeps people coming by to Roundtable in our District is the requirement of 4 Roundtables or a UofS or Pow Wow to complete that requirement for the training award. If it's pushed in your District like at District banquet when people are recieving knots and if units re-present the knots or some sort of acknowledgement to the recieving leader say at their Blue and Gold or Graduation so everyone can see that leaders put in more than one hour a week, other leaders might be compelled to attend as well. While not everyone is worried about that, it can be used as an incentive for some. I think we can all agree though that recognition is not the purpose of most leaders motives, but it can help bolster your spirits for another exciting year of scouting whether or not you choose to wear the knot.

Many of our scouters that attend RT attend U of S as well, so I guess it really is the fellowship that keeps em comin' back.

Yvonne, let us know what you end up trying and how it's working out.

Good Luck!

I do know that people don't like walking in the door and having a cue card shoved in their hand while being told/asked, "Wanna be a part of tonight's skit?" There is usually no costumes, no props, no rehersal, just a bunch of adults reading off of cards. How exciting, NOT! I've even noticed when that is the norm, people will intentionally show up late so they hopefully avoid the cue card assignments.

Been there several times.    I dont care for surprises, but when this happens to me, I try to make an effort to do more than just read the card because I know how boring that is to the audience and participants.  Dont worry about being a little silly in front of the adultsyou might be surprised how they react.  This is for the Cubs, not for us.  A little animated emotion with some drama is much better than reading cards with stoic looks on our faces.

If youre an RT commissioner or committee member, encourage those you volunteer with a little instruction/coaching on what you would like to see in your Skit.  Encourage play acting and not just read the cards.  It will liven things up and make it much more enjoyable for all.

Wow, the luxury of having a seperate RT Commish for Cubs and Boys (note the distinction: I feel all of them younguns are SCOUTS. We have Cubs and Boys)> We have ONE RTCm and then we divide up as possible for our seperate discussions.

Our District is in the throes of reorganizing and rebuilding the interconnection between units.

I would counsel the following: Make sure you have an accurate District Roster of Units and Leaders. This should include the District Leadership at the front, for all to contact as desired. Then include Unit number, CO, where they meet and when, CCh, CM, SM,phone numbers, addresses, (shudder) emails?. If this information is not collected, you can't use it. If you have it, you have no excuse not to use it.

Introduce yourself to as many of your constituency as you can. Call and INVITE folks to come to RT. This roster should be in the hands of all the District folks, and (why not?) every Cub, Boy and Ventuer leader. Encourage cooperation, inter-unit activities (esp. small units).

Find out what they might like to see/hear at RT. Make the time fun, useful and worthwhile (or mirthwhile, as one RT commish once said to me). (don't forget the ribs and slaw).

Programs::: Make a calender and ask folks to sign up to lead a night. Could be about the monthly theme, or not. Once upon a time, the Cub theme was "Circus of the Stars". Fellow signed up for it, and instead of Circus acts, he taught Astronomy! Marvelous!

KIS MIF YiS K-ingIS&F(This message has been edited by SSScout)

At my roundtable, the breakout session for CM and MC has told us to always remeber the three F's:

Fun

Fast

Finished

Ours is set up like a pack meeting. We sing a song, lead by an energetic fellow, who is tone deaf, and doesn't care if he makes a fool of himself. Come to think of it, most of the RT staff is that way. We laugh at corny jokes, some repeatable to kids. We do cheers, we have an advancement ceremoney every month, sometimes with real awards, and other times made up. We have costumes, props, a ceremonial table. We repeat the Pledge with no pause between "One nation" and "Under God".

We also have an early bird. The meeting starts at 7:30 but if you're there before 7:15, you get a raffle ticket. At then end of the meeting, if your ticket gets drawn you get a dollar store prize. They draw three tickets.

I have fun at our RT, and I tell everyone how much fun it is. I never know what stunts will be pulled when I get there.

For example, last month we had our mock B&G. The adults did an opening ceremony with paper plates that spelled ALOHA. But they lined up in reverse, and we were laughing when they spelled AHOLA.

My patrol guide from woodbadge even showed up there in a kilt and a real sword for the Cub Scouts in Shining Armor.

We get beads for attendance and silver beads for getting up in front and making a fool of ourself!

Most announcements are 1 minute or less, and we have flyers for them.