We used the Denner in our Den as Bears and it was OK. It at least made the boy and the parent that getting ready for a meeting takes a litte "invisible" work.

Our den is now Webelos I and we're going to use it again to keep the Den Leader on schedule.

We use it and it gives the boys a feeling of responsibility to the den. They enjoy it and usually rise to the occassion. They tend to understand that they need to set a good example and that improves their attitudes. We primarily use our denners to open the den meetings with the pledge of allegiance, cub promise, etc.

We've used denner since Tigers and I think it does help the scout act a bit more responsibly, particularly on that day! Our denners do the following:

lead in opening ceremony, pledge, promise

line leader and line ender

bead hander-outer - we award beads for attendance, uniform and book (they're put on a necklace that I keep until the last meeting, then they bring it home)

anything extra I need help with, they're the ones I call on

I think it's a great way to give kids responsibility. I've used it successfully for two years and have every intention on using it right through 2nd year webelos.

Maryanne

For those who use Denners, how are they selected? By election? I was thinking of using elections to select the Denner and Assistant Denner. The Assistant Denner being the Scout with 2nd most votes. After serving their term, 1 or 2 months, the Assistant Denner would become the Denner and a new Assistant Denner would be voted in.

The question I have do you continue to have elections to select the next Scouts to serve? Do Scouts who have already served become ineligible until every Scout has had a chance to serve?

Elections are the way to go. You have it right when you say the top 2 are the initial Denner & Asst Denner, with the Asst replacing the Denner after a specified time period.

Keep electing the Asst, taking out the names of the boys who have already served. After everyone has had a chance, all of the names go back in again. However, if you divide up your year evenly between the number of boys you have, you might not need to start over. Or, if you do it should only be a one time only final election for a short stint at the end.

Denners are a natural progression from the Shared Leadership of Tigers (from the Teams to the Boys), and a great transition tool for Webelos (more responsibility, more like a PL).

You could also simply assign Denner & Asst each time for the Wolf & Bear levels, saving the elections for Webelos to better mirror a Patrol Leader & Asst.

It rather depends on your boys & how you want to set things up. Either way would work well.

We are trying denners this year also as Webelos 1s. We've met and camped over the summer, but regular den meetings start next week. Likely our son will be denner for the first month, to get things started, then we'll let the boys elect. They'll rotate monthly. We keep telling them this is THEIR den (they decide, we guide) so they do need to take more part in making the meetings happen.

Our denner will plan an opening activity based on the badge we are working on, lead a flag ceremony, and lead the oath/law/motto.

clyde