Committee chair elect

I am still learning. I know that if a boy crosses over from Cub scouts to Boy scouts, they are no longer a Cub Scout. But does the same go for leaders?

We are in the middle of transitioning a new committee chair, Cubmaster, assist cubmaster, and most of the committee members and some control issues have come up. They and their sons have already filled out forms with a troop and are currently meeting with that troop, but they still do not want to turn the pack over to the new leadership that has already been voted in and have been tring to get some of the leadership to quit.

Can they have dual leadership since it is two different units, and if so what must they do to accomplish this?

QUOTE:

"but they still do not want to turn the pack over to the new leadership that has already been voted in..."

Your Pack Committee should recognize only those that have been voted in. In a letter to the cub parents, formally introduce the new leaders and give a thank you to the past leaders for their service. Emphasize that all questions about pack activities and meetings should directed to the new leadership.

If this letter angers any of the past leaders, then you have confirmed that they are not worthy of any leadership position in Scouts.

First, the technical answer to your question is "yes". Leaders can hold registration in more than one unit. I, for example, am the Scoutmaster of the Troop and Committee Chair of the pack. We did this to try help transition when I stepped down as Cubmaster.

Normally, yes, the leaders move on with the boys. Perhaps these leaders still have some younger sons coming up through the pack? I can't tell from your post what their reason for sticking around is. Can you enlighten us some more? Why do they want to stick around if their boys have moved on? (Note-I know of some leaders that have done this, because they truly love Cub Scouting.)

As EagleInKY noted, an adult can hold positions in more than one unit.

You state that all of the adults have filled out forms for the Troop. Does that mean that they filled out the transfer portion of the BSA adult registration form? If that is what they did, then they are no longer registered with your Pack as the have transfered their registration to the Troop.

If they have they simply filled out a whole new registration form, then they will be registered with both the Troop & your Pack until re-charter time, or until you tell your council to take them off of your charter.

If the new CC, CM, etc have all filled out registration forms, with their new position codes, which have been signed off & turned into your council registrar, then all your Pack/Charter Org needs to do is let the council registrar know that the former leaders need to be taken off of the Pack's charter because they have moved on to the Troop.

If your Pack wants to retain any of the old leaders, then your COR can let them know they are welcome to stay as Committee members only & that the new CC will be talking to them to see where they can best fit in.

Other than that, a formal introduction, possibly a simple ceremony, at your next Pack meeting should cover everything.

BTW - How - and why - have they been trying to get "some of the leadership to quit"?

Welcome to our campfire. Pull up a log. Enjoy.

Houston, we have a problem!!!!

Leadership in ANY scout unit should never be done by "election."

The Chartered Partner of the unit (the OWNERS!!) recruit leaders, train them, and formally select them for their jobs.

There is a person who can tell the "old" pack committee "goodbye." That person is the Chartered Organization Representative. HE OR SHE, ALONE, is entitle to make "hire" and "fire" decisions, particularly for a unit committee chair and the program officer (cubmaster, scoutmaster, Advisor).

If the COR says they stay, the election is null and void. Those are the leaders he chooses.

As always, we don't know the full facts here. Our advice is based on our understanding of Scouting policy and practice coupled to the challenge as you present it to us.

To answer some of the questions.

They said they filled out the top portion of the Leaders form but their CC did not put the words "Transfer of position" on the form. I do know they did not pay another registration fee.

The CC & CM have refused to sign our form to allow us our position, but they have signed up two new Assist. CM for next year and NO they do not have any other boys, so their future in Cub Scouting is over. This is a control thing for the leaving CM.

The vote was with the pack leadership, this was done because the majority of the den leaders did not like who they (CC, CM & Assist. CM)were choosing for CC. The COR is never involve in anything. The CM calls him and it what ever you want. Since they broke down to the pressure they did not get their pick for CC, so now they are trying to remove me as CC. So they have labled me a trouble maker, stated the vote was invaid and have upset the whole pack to a point that leaders and scouts are leaving. The DE does not want to disrupt anything anymore than they already are.

Thanks for your help, because I need it.

What a mess. From what you posted, it sounds like you have some folks who can't play nice & are not ready to hand over the reins unless it's to a hand picked pal.

Your COR may not be hands on, but he/she, or the head of the Charter Org him/her self, are the ONLY ones who can straighten this mess out. Your CO, as John said, OWNS your Pack, & what they say goes. They are the ones with the right to "hire" & "fire" volunteers, NOT the Pack's Den Leaders.

As possibly incoming CC, you need the COR & Co's approval. Call your Unit Commissioner, he can help you talk to your COR & CO. Get them together & talk to them. Let them know that THEIR unit is tearing itself apart & needs them to step up to the plate.

BTW - No one has to write "Transfer of Position" on the Adult Application. Along with the main info (including new position code) they simply fill in the white box at the top of the application that says Transfer From - Unit Type - Unit Number, attach their BSA ID & a check for $1.

Majrgreen1,

I would still emphasize writing a letter to the parents and introducing the new leadership with a sincere public thank you to the old leadership. Regardless of BSA policy, if the Pack leadership approved (voted in) the new leadership, then all of you need to step up, support each other and move forward. A unified front is needed against former leaders that refuse to let go. I realize that the CO or COR has the final say, but if your Pack is like mine, the CO is not active in the leader selection process.

The worst thing that can happen is they can kick you out for doing the right thing. If you kicked out for doing the right thing, then you really dont want to be a part of this Pack. Pride goes before a fall and these old leaders are going to fall hard when they discover they have destroyed the Pack with own hands.

As another person has said on this board, the parents always have the final say. Its hard to be a CM when the boys dont show up.

--Jeff