Girls In Cub Scouts

See my note about Lions not being Coed in LIONS SCOUTS thread.

According to literature from national Lions is NOT Coed. I am in one of the test councils and thats what they said today after I inquired.

If one of the other test councils are doing it Coed, I would like to see the literature on it

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've already stated, the Lions program, at least as it is being run in our council, is DEFINITELY co-ed. I don't know if any girls actually enrolled, but the flyers were distributed in school to ALL kindergartners in our school district.

As I said I'd do, I asked my Sr. District Executive for more info. He said that Lions is a pilot program in the Northeast Region, and therefore there is no public information out there yet. He said he'd give me what info he had on it....I will see him at roundtable Thursday so I will let you know what I find out about it.

My daughter "tagged along" for years and is now in a Crew and loving it!

I currently have a Wolf Den with the sister of one of the boys who participates in most of the activities (she is also a Girl Scout (I bought 5 boxes of cookies from her) but enjoys our program more). I also have a couple of younger male siblings who I try to get involved where I can. These are our future scouts!

But in so saying you have to be careful with activities where they could get hurt as they are not covered by the BSA insurance.

• 1 month later...

As I read this and the other current thread regarding Girls and Cub Scouting, I can't help but wondering...

Do our fellow scouters understand that the Girl Scout USA program has significant differences from the BSA programs in not only philosophy and mission but also managerial style. It's not just, or even primarily, a gender difference.

compare:

From the GSUSA website:

Girl Scouts of the USA is the worlds preeminent organization dedicated solely to girlsall girlswhere, in an accepting and nurturing environment, girls build character and skills for success in the real world. In partnership with committed adult volunteers, girls develop qualities that will serve them all their lives, like leadership, strong values, social conscience, and conviction about their own potential and self-worth.

From the BSA national website:

The Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training.

In the future Scouting will continue to

Offer young people responsible fun and adventure;

Instill in young people lifetime values and develop in them ethical character as expressed in the Scout Oath and Law;

Train young people in citizenship, service, and leadership;

Serve America's communities and families with its quality, values-based program.

From the GSUSA website:

Program Goals

The Girl Scout program can change the way girls see the world and their place in it. Girls learn the importance of personal responsibility, the value of goal-setting, the spirit of teamwork, and the thrill of accomplishment. The Girl Scout program is based on the Girl Scout Promise and Law and four fundamental goals that encourage girls to:

Develop to their full potential.

Relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect.

Develop a meaningful set of values to guide their actions and to provide for sound decision-making.

Contribute to the improvement of society.

From the BSA website:

Cub Scouting is a year-round family-oriented part of the BSA program designed for boys who are in first through fifth grades (or are 7, 8, 9, and 10 years of age). Parents, leaders, and organizations work together to achieve the 10 purposes of Cub Scouting:

Character Development

Spiritual Growth

Good Citizenship

Sportsmanship and Fitness

Family Understanding

Respectful Relationships

Personal Achievement

Friendly Service

Fun and Adventure

Preparation for Boy Scouts

All the activities leaders plan and boys enjoy should relate to one or more of these purposes. These purposes help us achieve the overall aims of the BSA of character development, citizenship training, and personal fitness.

THERE ARE DIFFERENCES.

It's not just about boys need to be with boys and girls need to be with girls.

IMHO the differences are largly in valuing the relationship with the family (and all the icky boys therin), and adventure in the OUTDOORS.

IF your daughter would like to attend Cub Scout meeting and the den doesn't have a problem with it, then let her. Make sure that you have two oththe leaders there too.

Register her as a Juliette Girl Scout and use her activities with the Den toward her Girl Scout Advancement.

She not member of Cub Scouts but a observer. If you have several girls that like it, then have 4 leaders, 2 with BSA and 2 with GSUSA. Do joint meeting, joint openings and seperate advancement.

From a Brother Den and Sister Troop relatiionship.

If there's ever a time that GSUSA rules that you can't do something per Safety Wise.

Then have the pack sponsor a Learning For Life group for the girls and play by LFL rules for that one activity. It's basicly the same rules as the G2SS.

YIS

Rich