Cub Scouter Award????

I am looking for the requirments, and I have questions. The requirment reads as follows: Organize participation of a pack in the Cub Scout Academics and sports program.

So how many events do I have to involve the members of the pack in to qualify. Or is it introduce them to the activity, and let them know the requirments? Has anyone finished this requirments? I understand that since I used my one year of service for my Den Leader Award for last year, then the (Time in service must be this year, and next year)

You are correct that time applied toward one training award cannot be applied toward another.

Re: the belt loop program: that's just one option out of ten that could be applied toward the five required to earn the knot. But if you choose to do that, then I'd say its up to your Committee Chair to decide if introducing the belt loop program to the pack and letting the DLs run with it will suffice.

Not necessarily the case right now, but just a question this post raised for me. Let's say that during a year someone uses to get his DL training knot he creates an activity book detailing things that can be done in the area, the cost of doing them, etc., but doesn't use it towards the knot he's crediting the year of service towards. Is it all right to therefore count it towards the Cub Scouter knot, or would he have to revise it/do it over for the other award during the years of service being used for it?

Brian, I did the beltloop requirement. We held a special "beltloop night" for the one I chose and close to 80% of the boys attended - well beyond what I had expected. Depending on the beltloop in quetion and your pack, you might be able to incorporate this into a regular pack meeting, or do some of it on a pack overnighter, etc. We also did this with the science beltloop at our pinewood derby; when the kids were done racing we set up stations for them to visit with their parents and try some simple experiments. Worked well for us and the kids loved the hands on stuff. We tried to pick experiments that had to do with gravity and motion, to keep with the racing theme.

As to whether simply introducing the information is enough, I guess that is up to your committee but if it were me, I'd be inclined to say no. I think you should actually set it up so that the boys can earn the beltloop.

Lisa'bob

Akela in NY:

There are many awards that adults can earn as a leader for presenting a quality program to the scouts. For Cub Scout Leaders here are a few of them.

Cub Scouter Award

Tiger Cub Den Leader Award

Webelos Den Leader Award

Den Leader Award

They can be found in the Cub Scout Leader Handbook. There is a sign off sheet you fill out as you complete them. You then turn it into your Committe Chair to be sent to Council. There are other awards that you must be nominated for service at District, Council, Reginal ect.

There are also awards for Boy Scout Leaders. You may some leaders that have several square knot patches above their left uniform shirt pocket.

Cub Scouter Award is a award earned by a adult leader for fulfilling certain requirments.

The Denner, and Assistant Denner are positions held by Cub Scouts in your Den. They are for short periods of time,1 to 2 months. Duties include helping to set up the den meeting place, and cleanup , helping with games, ceremonies, tricks and puzzles. The Denner wears a tab with 2 yellow cords on the left shoulder. The assistant denner has only 1 cord. See page 20-7 Cub leaders handbook.

I hope this is the answer you are looking for.

Brian

I just earned my Cub Scouter award (it does take 2 years) - it was presented at the Blue and Gold. As for the Belt Loop requirement, I did that one. I led our pack's spring campout last year. As part of the activities I planned (all centered around a theme of "trees"), all Scouts there earned their Science belt loop. We completed all the requirements, including doing science experiment using the "scientific method", etc. Similar to Lisabob, we had stations and activites for the boys to complete - we grouped them by ranks and den leaders helped with the experiment. But like fgoodwin said, that's just one of the ones to choose from to earn the Scouter knot. Personally I was disappointed that I couldn't make the "get 60% of your Pack to subscribe to Boys' Life" - we didn't quite make it, but thankfully there were other requirements I could do :-)

clydesdale115