I want to work with my den on swimming belt loop. I have taken the swimming training on line with the council. Our CC seems to think that we need a BSA approved life guard, but I understand from the training, that all we need is a life guard to fulfill one of the eight steps for safe swim deffence. This would be done at or community center run by the cities park board. What are your thoughts?

Lifeguards do not need to be BSA or Red Cross certified, though BSA says it is "strongly recommended". Even though you want to do this at a city-run pool, you still must provide qualified supervision and follow all the eight points.

Every unit that does swimming should have a copy of the BSA publication "Safe Swim Defense" #34370. It's a good reference and answers questions about the details of the eight points.

From the Guide to Safe Scouting (regrettably, this is not the best available one at scouting.org, I cannot get there at the moment):

From the MANDATORY POLICY (boldface) guidance:

Qualified Supervision

All swimming activity must be supervised by a mature and conscientious adult age 21 or older who understands and knowingly accepts responsibility for the well-being and safety of youth members in his or her care, who is experienced in the water and confident of his or her ability to respond in the event of an emergency, and who is trained in and committed to compliance with the eight points of BSA Safe Swim Defense. (It is strongly recommended that all units have at least one adult or older youth member currently certified as a BSA Lifeguard to assist in the planning and conduct of all swimming activity.)

Lifeguards on Duty

Swim only where there are lifeguards on duty. For unit swims in areas where lifeguards are not provided by others, the supervisor should designate two capable swimmers as lifeguards.

My note: See above about lifeguards being provided by others!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the amplifying material in G2SS:

Pool and Surf Swimming

The Safe Swim Defense applies to swimming at the beach, private or public pool, wilderness pond, stream, lake, or anywhere Scouts swim. Here are some additional points for the pool and the surf.

Pool -- If the swimming activity is in a public facility where others are using the pool at the same time, and the pool operator provides guard personnel, there may be no need for additional designation of Scout lifeguards and lookout.

The buddy system is critically important. however, even in a public pool. Remember. even in a crowd, you are alone without protection if no one is attentive to your circumstances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note the comment that at a commercial pool where lifeguards are provided, the burden shifts.

Note the comments on the buddy system.

ESPECIALLY WITH CUBS: Note the rules regarding ability groups. Be VERY CAREFUL with youth in deep water.

Following the principles of Safe Swim Defense, as FScouter said, is an absolute MUST!!!

Remember: ANY aquatic activity conducted by a Scout unit automatically requires the planning needed for a TOUR PERMIT to happen.

YIS.

John

A BSA Lifeguard(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

We have done this beltloop and the webelos aquanaut at a local public pool where lifeguards are provided as part of the user fee. This makes things much, much easier on the pack leadership. Still, I always prefer to have as many parents attend as possible, even if they aren't in the water with the kids - more eyes are better. I know of some packs who also require a parental signature on a permission slip for a boy to go in the deeper water. Sometimes what a young kid says he can do doesn't match his actual ability so it is just an extra safeguard - but not a BSA requirement. Once you get past all the rules, this is a blast to do.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!