Scuttlebutt about new Kindergarten Cub Scout program (lions)

Does anybody happen to know whether the Lions will earn a rank badge that is similar in some way to the diamond-shaped tiger/bobcat/wolf/bear badges? Will they be able to wear whatever rank badge they might earn on their blue cub uniforms somewhere once they are Tigers? Logistics aside (how exactly will it fit into that "diamond"?) I wonder if this might provide a clue as to how closely the Lions are intended to be aligned with the pack structure.

Lisa'bob

Lisabob - according to the newest Leaders Book, the Tiger program will be facing some changes as of June 1, 2006. These changes include earning Bobcat before earning Tiger and using the Cub Scout Motto instead of "Search, Discover and Share.

On a different email list I belong too I had shared page/chapter/verse but am at work this morning and don't have my book handy. No, it doesn't say anything about a K program, but there are changes coming to Tigers...prolly as part of the full intergration thing.

YiS

Michelle

outgoing CM - P102

I think that speculating on uniforms, rank, & other awards for a Lion program is very, very premature.

This program sounds like it is in the VERY early discovery phase. What programing there is for it is not even consistent between the 1 or 2 councils that are trying it out.

bmarkey mentions that his friend is using the Learning For Life, kindergarten Seekers program along with a homeschool curriculum. Learning For Life is NOT a BSA Scout program. It is a school based program, entirely separate from BSA. Maybe that is why his council is making their version homeschool based.

Someone else I read, mentioned that their council was using just Tiger electives. Another was simply doing a monthly outing or craft.

None of the websites of the participating councils mention this program at all.

This program is in the VERY, VERY, preliminary stages and might never even get any further than this testing phase. I sincerely doubt that any version of this program will be written in stone into the Cub Scout Program come June 1, 2006.

I don't know anything official. But I checked out the Learning for Life website and put in my zipcode to find a local office. The local office has the same address and phone number as our Boy Scout council office.

While Learning For Life shares an address and a root organization with BSA, it is a separate organization from the Boy Scouts of America.

It was developed in 1991, in response to the controversy over religion & sexual preference within BSA. Learning For Life is school based & Explorers is worksite based. Neither are Scouting programs.

Just a clarification. The council isn't making anything homeschool based. The leader happens to homeschool her own children, and the rest of the Lions came from our regular public school. She's just throwing in some of the lessons from her homeschool curriculum to give the kids some additional stuff to learn.

• 1 month later...

My brother is in Moranie Trails his boy is in the Lion program.

they were working on electives in the tiger book.They are having a

blast and it is working out well. My son & I are it the next council north(French Creek).I think a couple of our packs are trying the program,Ihave not heard how they are doing

nldscout, I have no idea what is or is not actually happening in the councils referenced by the previous poster. However I do know that if you were to use my council's web site as an indicator of what's actually going on in the council, you'd form a rather incorrect picture of reality...

Lisa'bob