Committee Chair Duties

I've been studying the job descriptions in the Cub Scout Leader Book, and have concluded that a lot of the confusion we see between Cubmaster's and Committee Chair's roles has to do with those descriptions. I read them several times and still wasn't clear on how the CM and CC jobs differ. It's not really helpful to just say the CM=program and CC=administration, because the CM attends the committee meetings and all are involved in both program planning and administration. I think it's more accurate to say that the CM is in charge of the den leaders and boys, and the CC is in charge of the "behind the scenes" running of the pack. Here's my own edited version of their job descriptions:

Committee Chair

 calls and presides at annual program planning and monthly pack leaders meetings

 assigns duties to committee members

 plans charter review, roundup, and re-registration

 approves bills to be paid by treasurer

 sees that adequate facilities are available for meetings

 manages finances

 maintains pack records

 takes care of pack property

 directs pack in absence of Cubmaster

 maintains relationship with troop

 works to make smooth transition of Webelos scouts into troop

Cubmaster

 plans and leads the monthly pack meeting, providing impressive advancement and graduation ceremonies

 works with the pack committee on program ideas, recruiting adult leaders, and establishing a budget plan

 guides and supports den leaders

 maintains a good relationship with parents

 works with Outings Chair to plan and arrange for outdoor activities

 works with Membership Chair on recruiting and maintaining membership

 assigns duties to Assistant Cubmaster

mbscoutmom, I respectfully disagree with a few points of your post.

directs pack in absence of Cubmaster

Not sure what you mean by "directs" but the assistant Cubmaster takes over for the Cubmaster in his/her absence, not the Committee Chair.

One thing that is different now from years ago - den leaders and the cubmaster are now part of the pack committee. That was not the case in days past. So, because the CC oversees the committee, which the cubmaster is part of, it may seem that their duties overlap.

I like to think of the Cubmaster / CC like the relationship on most network news these days. The Cubmaster is the "talking head" (eloquent, easy on the eyes, good public speaker, etc.) emcee of the Pack meetings and the CC is the "journalistic brains" behind what the man on TV says. Somewhat simplistic but remember, the unit leader in Cub Scouts is the CC, not the Cubmaster.

As I have said before, the CM is responsible for the program. This includes the planning and the execution of the program.

The CC is responsible for the finances and ensuring the CM has what is needed to put on the program.

The CC does oversee the planning conference but more for ensuring that the MC are informed and know what is needed form each of them for the program to be put on.

As an example: As the cubmaster I decided that the pack would take a trip to the local newspaper for a tour, because it met the monthly theme. At this point it is now the CC responsiblility to ensure that all arrangements are made, transport, reservations, timeline, cost etc.... Then the CM is responsible for making it happen.

Neither one, the CC or CM, is truly in charge. Tehy work as a team, and the pack will only be as good as the team.

Fred

Wow, now I'm really confused. Has Cub Scouts really changed that much since I left that program?

As the cubmaster I decided that the pack would take a trip to the local newspaper for a tour, because it met the monthly theme.

What? Cub Scouts and Webelos have different themes. A Pack does not have a single monthly theme like a Boy Scout troop. A Cubmaster acts as the emcee at a Pack meeting. The Pack meeting should highlight what the different dens have been working on for the past month. Yes, the Cubmaster works directly with the Tiger Cub Coach, Den Leaders, and Pack Committee Chair to make sure all the dens are functioning properly and plans the den & Pack programs with the help of other leaders but does not dictate to the den leaders what they should be doing.

The Cub Scout Leader book that I am referring to (c2001) states that "If the Cubmaster is unable to serve, [the Pack Committee Chair will] assume active direction of the pack until a successor is recruited and registered." I paraphrased this as "directs pack in the absence of the Cubmaster." It's not clear on what it means by "active direction", but I would think that means planning and executing the program. Are there guidelines I don't know about that state that the ACM is to do this instead of the CC? It does say that the ACM is to fill in for the CM when necessary, but I thought that meant MCing the pack meeting, not planning the program. This is exactly why I find these job descriptions so confusing!

"Cub Scouts and Webelos have different themes."

True, but if the Pack follows the monthly Cub Scout themes, it usually follows the main theme for Cub Scouts. That is how the month is geared & how the monthly Pack meeting is focused.

"Yes, the Cubmaster works directly with the Tiger Cub Coach, Den Leaders, and Pack Committee Chair to make sure all the dens are functioning properly and plans the den & Pack programs with the help of other leaders but does not dictate to the den leaders what they should be doing."

CM Fred did not say anything about dictating to anybody. He stated he planned a Pack outing based on the Cub Scout theme for the month. I am sure no one was FORCED to attend. Every level (including Webelos) has some kind of achievement based on communication which an outing to a newspaper could fulfill.

BTW - There is no such position of Tiger Cub Coach & hasn't been for at least 5-6 years.

As people here have said - The CC is in charge of the business aspect & the Committee itself. The CM is in charge of the Pack program. They should NOT be nit picking about who does what & who is "in charge" of who. The CC, CM, Den Leaders, & Committee Members all work TOGETHER to give the boys in their Pack the best program they can.

Unless you have someone in your Pack who is untrained, a control freak, or both, I really do not see why this should be such a big problem.