Creating new beltloops??

Good morning to all!

I had a scout ask me an interesting question recently "Who decides on which activities get to be beltloops and pins? And why isn't there one for karate?"

I was at a loss I knew the answer to the first part, but not the second. Honestly, I didn't even know what Ultimate was until I looked it up on the Web, and there's a beltloop and pin for it. Personally, I know lots more kids that participate in martial arts than ultimate!

Does anyone know how to make a recommendation to the BSA on a new Cub Scout beltloop and pin? I'd really like to let this scout know.

TIA!

EL

No fighting sports.

It is too bad in some ways because there are good things for boys to learn from these done properly. Fencing is another healthy sport that is not allowed.

I figured that if Ultimate is there, so should Bocce Ball; Horseshoes, etc.

USA Rugby has a touch game for Youth, so Rugby should be there ala Flag Football.

What about (like flag football and "touch" rugby") a non contact version of Lacrosse.

We play it in our Pack. We have 20 sticks and some soft lacrosse balls.

Could improvise with a cut chlorox jug on the end of a stick with tennis balls.

The game is rooted in Iroquois religion, so the roots of it are in keeping with scoutlike roots. Think OA here.

Womens lacrosse plays with eye protection only and the ball is just as hard as the men.

The National Advancement committee (made of volunteers from across the country) meets as I recall twice a year to review the advancement program. Send your recommendations to To the National Office in Irving, TX. Attn: Cub Scout Advancement Committee.

Thanks BW, that's what I needed! Even if this scout's chosen field of competition isn't an approved BSA activity, at least I can give him a direction to move in.

Wait... my scouts are Bears this fall... I can have them all write a letter to BSA about a new mythical beltloop they would like to see created for Achievement 17e! Such bright ideas so early in the AM...

EL