Belt loop afternoons

Its barely July but I'm already looking ahead to September and beyond, trying to come up with ideas for Pack events.

One that I have seen mentioned before and am considering is a Loop-a-palooza...an afternoon (or a couple of hours) with a few belt loops stations where the boys can come, do the requirements for the belt loops that will then be handed out at the next Pack meeting.

Have any of you tried it? If so, did some things go over better than others? I know there are some loops that it would be impossible to earn in an afternoon, but have you found some to be far more popular than others?

Thanks for any suggestions

Michelle

CM - P102

The Academics and Sports book offers some suggestions on how to organize just such a day.

Just a Suggestion:

Try to get a handle on how many participants you can expect and have the belt loops right there to award to the participants.

My guys loved Marbles and it was a good 75th tie in. Try Ultimate.

jd

JD we did that same thing with Marbles as part of Blue and Gold and it was a great hit.

Ultimate is out of our league as we are very Tiger/Wolf heavy (5 Tigers, 3 Wolves) with no Bears or Web 1's and 3 Web 2's. We are small and young, I can see Ultimate being a place to go in another couple of years.

But I will go gather up the A&S book out of the Pack Closet and see what it offers for suggestions.

Thanks

Michelle

Michelle,

I made the same assumption last year at our Pack BBQ about the Ultimate belt loop. All the boys wound up having fun, from TIgers to Webelos.

I am the one who was in disbelief when I found out that Ultimate is nothing more than frisbee golf.

good luck,

CMF

Actually Ultimate is more like Frisbee Football. You have a 70 yard long field with two 25 yard end zones, & 2 teams who are each trying to pass the frisbee to one of their players in the other teams end zone to score a point. The team who scores then "tosses off" to the opposite team.

Non-contact & very fun for all age levels.

Greg would I really be showing my age if I admitted to having the dessert topping/floor wax SNL skit on 8-track?

A 70 yard field? with 25 yard end zones? We have 11 boys if all show up....can we modify that field a little bit? LOL

While Ultimate does sound very fun and might be something the next CM can do in the spring, I was looking for more indoor-able activities to do in November, in Maine....lol

Now to find the next CM before the end of December.

Michelle

Michelle, This is something that I have in the works myself as well. I believe that the kids in my Pack will get excited about the belt loops as they are easy to earn and plentiful. As it is, all boys but Webelos don't really have anything to be recognized for (award/badge wise) throughout the year so this will fill that void.

I plan on having activities that are geared toward belt loop requirements, much like you are. We have had one already - Fishing. It was scheduled as one of our summertime activities so I made sure we covered the requirements. Our next opportunity will be our Family Campout. This will allow me to do one of the outdoor sporting activities.

You have already received a few suggestions but take a look at the book if you already haven't. There are quite a few that would be good for a group your size. Good Luck!

Jerry