Summertime Pack Award for Individual Scouts

The purpose of the award program is to encourage packs to have a qualtiy year-round program, including the summer months. An event in each of the months of June, July, and August meets the award requirement.

Extra events before or after summer, with the summer off doesn't seem to square with having a year-round program. Three events in June, with July and August off doesn't seem right either. If a boy goes off on vacation with his family and does not participate one month, then he has not participated.

Why would a pack give themselves the award if they did not hold activities in June, July, and August? Why should a participation pin be presented to a boy that did not participate?

FScouter, I agree completely with you... I understand that it falls on the shoulders of the parents, but they too need to know and understand that this is an award for participation.. doesnt it also require a % of the pack in order to qualify?! Rules and policy are set into motion for reasons it is not for me to question them (not all of them) it is my job to ensure that everyone does everything they need to do to earn awards etc, if they dont then they dont get the patch/pin..

FScouter seems to have it right.

There is an official exception for year-around schools. They can have events during their hiatus periods. The idea being to ensure Scouting is not just another 'school' activity that dies when school is out.

I think part of the idea of the award is to recognize those who make the extra effort to attend one session per month while school is out. When you give the award to those who come close you devalue the efforts of those who made it to the whole thing.

The attendance requirement is only for Dens, not Packs.

Back to the original question, answer 2 fits the requirements as written in the application.