National Pinewood Derby in May

My son's car was chosen to go to the National Pinewood Derby for our council. I am going to take him to Dallas for those dates. I was wondering if the boys will be allowed to watch the race or if it is closed. Anyone know? I am going anyway as I have family there and plan to take him to the Scout Museum since all the cars will end up there.

Kristi

Wow, finally a response. Yes there is (this year only) a National Pinewood Derby. It is in celebration of the 75th year of Cub Scouting. National sent out info to the Scout Exec. in January so that each council could devise a way to select each council's entry. Each council is only allowed to send one car that is "Emblematic" of that council. The Scout Exec. will then take the car to the annual meeting in Dallas TX between May 26-28 and the cars will be raced by volunteers in a closed session (so no my son can't watch). The cars will also be judged on design. The winning car for speed and for design will be place in the National Scout Museum on display. The other cars will also be donated to the museum for use on their pinewood derby track. This is a once in a lifetime shot for these boys and I am really frustrated that so few people know about it and a lot of people don't even care about it. If you can, talk to your council folks and be sure that at least one car goes for each council.

No one in my council knew about this till I started digging around and got some other folks excited. I am very happy that my son's car is going but I am more happy that other boys had the chance to try.

On a side note, the national scout museum has a need of donated pinewood derby cars. The ones they use are repaired by a volunteer but are getting pretty shabby. My son is doing a service project of getting packs to donate past derby cars for him to take to Dallas after the National race. The lady at the museum said they would let him keep his own car if it didn't win instead of letting it get used on the track so we are going to be sure that he can offer a nice trade value for them. If anyone wants to donate cars they can send them to the museum or to my pack. The museum staff said that the derby track is one of the most popular displays and even older boy scouts line up to run a car.

Kristi Cantor

Send derby cars to

Pack 582

PO BOX 1111

Kodak TN 37764(This message has been edited by cajuncody)

Well, with my council, I guess that's now 3 councils who are not participating, & considering the lack of response I'd say there are a LOT more out there.

To tell you the truth, the National Scout Museum aside, this does not sound like a lot of fun for the boys. It sounds to me like another reason for parents to go crazy & have boys in tears because they did not win.

Our PWD was in Jan & the boys had a BLAST! We did not measure the speed of the cars or use big price tag finish lines. We used Boy Scouts/Scouters as line judges & just raced away until the boys were tired.

I kind of prefer a boy saying he had tons of fun at our Pack's PWD over a boy getting a letter telling him his car is the fastest in the nation & boy did his councils SE have fun racing it.

Sad part is, even the SE's don't get to race it. (sigh)

Anyway, my son loved the idea but he builds cars just to build cars. He still has high hopes that his will win and be on display at the museum but he also understood from the begining just how big this could have become (could, not did). He wanted to build one for it and if it didn't win he was still going to take it for show and tell and put it on his shelf with his other cars.

The real winners will be the museum with more cars to race. If it had been announced early enough the boys could have done the theme at the pack and district race and had as much fun and produced a car for the race.

Another missed opportunity for alot of boys who would have loved it and could have done a good job. Maybe it is just as well, we may have ended up with alot of parental competition.

Krisi

You know, if the purpose of this was to get more PWD cars for the Museum, they could have sent something out to the councils stating that. I am sure that many Packs could have put together a design team to create a special car that represented their Pack & sent that along.

They could have judged the cars & perhaps the most original design could have won a free (or reduced) trip to the Museum for the Pack.

Now that would have been interesting!

Now that I find out more about the organization of the National PWD it does not sound appealing. It removes the most important ingredient from the event: THE BOYS! Cubs have a BLAST racing their cars, and would race them into the ground if we let them.

IMO, it is not truly a PWD because the boys will be absent from participation in the competition.

PWD Skit

Scout Officials come to FB and ask the question, "How should we run a National PWD?"

FB does not scratch his head or hesitate, "Each Scout is given a block of wood, nails and wheels and is told to build a car in one day, using any of the tools, paint and sandpaper available. At the end of the day, a race will be held. The winners will go to the district and do it all over again until they move up to a National competition."

"Gee, FB what about Dad helping out a little bit at his shop with all of the electronic gizmos to make it a super-deluxe model?" says Scout Officials.

FB, "Well guys, it just doesn't seem fair. I would agree only if everyone had the same Dad."

Scout Off., "You are not being fair. Cubbing is for the Family."

FB, "Oh, you are so right it is one of the Methods. Go for it Dads."

FB is awakened by a knock on the door but it is only the milkman. Where did you come from? I didnt know you guys still delivered?"

M.M., We dont but we wanted to tell you that the National PWD will be held soon.

FB scratches his head hesitantly.

Curtains close with a booming voice, "Gentlemen, start your engines."