Advancement deadline

I set the deadline because May is our last Pack Meeting for the school year. It wasn't arbitrary. Our Pack has a cross-over ceremony for all the boys at that time, to move them along to the next level. I was also under the impression that Coucil updates every Scout's file in June to reflect their progression to the next level in Scouting, which should preempt any further work towards their current rank.

"Last year, some of these same boys were Tigers and were "given" their rank without attending meetings or doing the requirements. I had no input at that point. If the precendent has been set, how do I handle this situation this year, should it come up?"

You have already let them know that May is the limit. Their Den Leader (these are boys in the other Den correct?) can mail each family a list of requirements that still need to be finished and stress again that May is it.

However, you should be aware that these boys might come to their last Den meeting with every requirement for the Wolf rank signed off by their parents. This is possibly what happened last year. Since boys are supposed to be doing most of their rank work at home, and parents are considered leaders and can sign off on all of their sons work, there is not a lot you can do about this. The Den Leader pretty much has to accept it at face value & award them rank.

"And, how do I handle this one... one of the boys in the other den has his Wolf rank because his father went to the Scout store and bought it for him!"

First of all, it should not be you who has to handle it. His Den Leader needs to tell the boy & his family that the Scout Store made a mistake by selling the rank patch to a parent. The Den Leader needs to tell them the boy is not allowed to wear the patch until it has been earned.

Then your Pack Advancement Person needs to be told what happened. This person then should talk to the Scout Shop Mgr to make sure that restricted patches are being kept restricted.

"I was also under the impression that Coucil updates every Scout's file in June to reflect their progression to the next level in Scouting, which should preempt any further work towards their current rank."

National's computer considers June 1 the end of the current school year & updates to the next Cub level at that point. However that does NOT mean that is a hard & fast cutoff. If you check your Cub Scout Leader Book you will see that boys are allowed extra time to finish current rank requirements, if they need it. The only requirement is that they can ONLY work on those rank requirements. They can NOT work on any requirements for their next Cub level at the same time. Boys are restricted to working in only ONE level at a time.

If your Pack holds any Summer meetings the boys can be awarded their rank at that time. Or they can receive it at the first Pack meeting of the next school year.

Hopefully, the families will have finished their boys up by May.