Leader requirments

Leader requirements

Tell me if I got this right?

1. Den Meetings:

1 Leader and another adult

2. Outings:

2 Leaders

3. Camping:

2 Leaders and never any other scout in your tent other then your own son.

4. In car going to event/meeting:

1 leader and at least two scouts

And what if one of my cubbies is my nephew, can I be his guardian on a camp out?

Are you asking for bare minimums under Youth Protection or recommended coverage?

The way I understand it, technically you can have one trained leader at a Den Meeting but you must never be alone with a boy other than your son/ward. Always better to have two-deep.

You may want to get Youth Protection Trained or review the information if you are already trained. It is available online and only takes 3-40 minutes maximum to go through.

And what if one of my cubbies is my nephew, can I be his guardian on a camp out?

There are lots of ways to answer this, but only one is correct. Yes, you can be his guardian, but, no, you cannot sleep in the same tent with him.

I am sure that someone will try to call me on this, but that is the "official" answer that I have repeatedly been given by our Council people.

The other side of this question is, will your own son be on the trip? How many other responsibilities will you have on the trip? Will you have the time to supervise a child that is not yours? Good questions, you should think about the answers before committing to anything.

I don't think what is being asked, but a legal (court appointed) guardian can sleep in his ward's tent for in the eyes of the law he is just like a parent. A 'guardian' as he is talking about is a responsible adult appointed by the parents to watch over their son on specific outing and that would be a different situation and would not be allowed in to sleep in his charge's tent.

Yes I was asking because Last week I took my nephew camping and his parents came up the next day. He and my boy slept in their own tent. I was scared that if one of them started to cry or get lonely that they would end up in my tent. Everything worked out fine, but did not want any odd situation. Thank you for answer that.

I did take Youth Protection Trained and I also took training giving by council. I was just trying to clarify what I have learned. I was hoping that I got it right.

I was looking for minimums under Youth Protection. I normaly have more parent involment then this, but there was a time last week at a den meeting that I was left alone with the boys for about ten minutes. I did not like the feeling.

What I have read is a little bit different from that.

On an outing you only need one leader and one parent. Camping is treated the same way. In a car (or any other situation), you can have just a leader and their own son.