Diamond Tiger Patch Stickiness

My Web 1 just got his Webelos oval patch, so off came all the patches from the blue shirt--he wants to get the tan one in the summer for Web 2 to BS.

However, did anyone realize that the diamond patch, which started out as stuck to their belt totem, and then was moved to their blue shirts when they became Wolves in the spring, comes off leaving all this sticky goo on the pocket? Since they're the first group that did the Tiger patch this way, perhaps we're just finding out!

Anyone have any good ideas how to get this goo off the pocket without ruining the shirt?

Thanks.

Try rubbing the spot with Goof Off or Goo Gone that should remove the stickiness. Follow with a spot cleaning of dish washing liquid to remove the Goof Off. It may take a couple tries to completely remove the spot but has always worked for me. When you are sure it is all gone launder normally.

I am curious about why all of the patches came off the blue shirt?

The previous rank badges are not worn on the tan shirt, so there is not a place there for his tiger badge (as I understand it).

I would also suggest that the boy learn to sew on his own patches so the goo becomes a non-starter.

"The previous rank badges are not worn on the tan shirt"

Actually they can be. If the scout received the diamond Webelos badge and did not have the Tiger rank he could take all of his "stuff" off of the blue shirt & put it on the tan one.

In this case the boy is not getting his tan shirt until summer. He has an oval Webelos badge that he wants to put on his blue shirt. To do that he has to remove all of his previous rank badges and arrowpoints. He then centers the webelos badge on the left shirt pocket.

Seems to me it would be a LOT easier to simply buy the tan shirt now, instead of waiting until summer. But then I HATE sewing!

The patches did not come off the blue shirt, I took them off, as mentioned in the other post--that if he wants to wear the oval Webelos patch, the others need to come off first.

And I didn't use glue to hold the tiger patch to the shirt. The tiger diamonds have adhesive on the back so they will stick to the plastic tiger totem, then that patch comes off the totem and went onto the blue shirt in June. I'm just thinking that now was not such a good idea for the patch, as it leaves this mess to be dealt with.

Thanks for the advice. goo gone worked with a little patience.

• 4 weeks later...

My Tiger just received his diamond Tiger badge at this morning's Blue and Gold (since when did it become breakfast, rather than dinner?). He's very proud of it, so now we have to put it on his uniform.

But it still has the peel-off paper covering a sticky back, which I assume is a holdover from the previous Tiger program where you stuck the patch on a belt device, rather than on the blue shirt.

I've used GooGone before, so I guess I could stick it to his shirt and sew it down for good measure. But I'd rather not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I sew it down with the paper backing still in place? Should I stick it to some very light fabric cut-to-size, and then sew it down? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Separate question - has anyone successfully taught a Tiger-aged boy to sew his own patches?

Thanks,

Mike

I think the idea of sticking it on a light weight fabric & then sewing it down will work well. You probably will not be moving any patches unless he goes thru a major growth spurt & out grows his blue shirt, but I would rather be safe than covered in Goo Gone!

We did the sew a button elective with my Tigers & a couple of them actually did very well. Then there's my 16 yo son. He does try hard, but every seam he sews seems to come apart faster than he sews it! When he sews on a badge he is lucky if it makes it to the meeting before self destructing!

I stuck on a piece of lightweight fabric before sewing and it worked fine. As for my Tiger sewing on the badge - he has sewn before and was excited at the prospect. Unfortunately, after a couple of poked fingers and lots of frustration, I finished it up. The badge was very hard to get the needle through and he couldn't manage a thimble!

When I glue tubular bicycle tires on, I have used a cement by 3M called Fast Tack Trim Adhesive. It's very sticky and gums all up. I spread the glue on the rim with a finger. It can be quite a sticky mess. Anarchist may know what I'm talking about. Anyway, to get the stuff off of my finger and whatever else it may have gotten on, I use Baby Oil. It works great. I've used baby oil to remove price stickers off of things I've bought too. It works every time. I imagine it will work for removing the Tiger Badge goo too.

Good luck!

SWScouter